Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GTS and my # 4 cylinder has a mis-fire...the plugs are fine and the plug wire or the coil pack looks fine but may be the problem...it misses when idleing but not when I am going...im thinking i need a new coil pack but im just wanting to make sure.....ne other suggestions?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hooked it up to a scan tool again today and cleared the code last night and today it also come up as multiple cylinder mis-fire. could this be due to the # $ cylinder misfire or could this also be the MAF sensor? im gonna take it off and clean it today and see how it goes but if but would it not come up as a MAF sensor code or could it also come up as a misfire?? thanks in advance....

·
Immortal
332 Posts
2000GTS said:
I hooked it up to a scan tool again today and cleared the code last night and today it also come up as multiple cylinder mis-fire. could this be due to the # $ cylinder misfire or could this also be the MAF sensor? im gonna take it off and clean it today and see how it goes but if but would it not come up as a MAF sensor code or could it also come up as a misfire?? thanks in advance....
I don't think the 2ZZGE used MAF (AFM)... have you been revving the car cold again? ;]

Anyway... take it to a shop to get a proper diagnostic. It can be a number of things...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I never reved the engine cold...i just meant it wasnt long after i started it...i sit in my car and let it warm up....i was actually sittin at a stop light when it started missin...lol, but their is a MAF sensor it is before the throttle body...I think i might clean it....any other ideas?

·
Immortal
332 Posts
2000GTS said:
No, I never reved the engine cold...i just meant it wasnt long after i started it...i sit in my car and let it warm up....i was actually sittin at a stop light when it started missin...lol, but their is a MAF sensor it is before the throttle body...I think i might clean it....any other ideas?
I stand corrected... =] Damn toyota... they gotta get more technologically advanced...

·
yah ..... okay
USE20
383 Posts
sorry, doesn't really help on the problem.
but i am just wondering how can you tell when a cyclinder is miss fire ????
wired sounds ?? or something else =)

thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It misses....and has rough idles like its cutting in and out....a lot of times it sounds like a v-8 with the lope and all...then ur check engine light will come on...

·
yah ..... okay
USE20
383 Posts
2000GTS said:
It misses....and has rough idles like its cutting in and out....a lot of times it sounds like a v-8 with the lope and all...then ur check engine light will come on...

so when there's rough idle, will the needle in the technometre go up and down constantly ??? =)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theres a difference in a rough idle and a miss....sometimes a rough idle is just due to the fact that you have a rough idle....but if you have a missfire or a miss then it will cause it to idle rough with a lope...like the engine is off tune or has a beat to it instead of constant running it sounds like its cutting in and out...

·
Immortal
332 Posts
A miss will sorta pop and miss... literally...

·
Registered
341 Posts
was the MIL flashing or just constantly lit?
quick and easy multiple misfire basic checks: charging voltage, manifold vac., fuel pressure(including regulator check), injector, and check plugs especially gap, belt tension, and visual on coil connectors, sensor connectors and all vac. lines. If all those check out ok, you move on to the next more involved checks. And since you have a scanner, view the freeze frame and start the car and view data. look for abnormal sensor signal voltage and long term fuel trim. shouldn't really clear codes unless you've done that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was constantly lit, they said it was the plugs at the dealership but i just got the car. i think they might be covering something up because its taking them four hours to install new plugs and an actuator for the door lock...it wouldnt even take me that long plus i checked the plugs and they were fine and so did a toyota tech that i know but i aint gotta pay for nothing and thats all that matters as long as i aint payin and my baby gets home ok......lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts