Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:

I need help.I have a 98 4runner that shakes in the seats and the steering wheel,Ijust had the wheels balanced which made it alittle better but it's still not right.
The truck has all new tires new shocks.The local toyota dealer said theres nothing wrong with it,that was before I had another shop do the ballancing.
The truck does not always do it, the shake is most noticable at 65mph-70mph,Like I said it is better now that the tires are ballanced but it's still not right,
Any help or suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
516 Posts
I would check to see if the tires are out of round. That has caused the same symptoms for me.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Check the torque on your lugnuts as well as making sure your rotors are not warped. Have you tried switching the front tires to the back yet? Just a thought...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brand new roters done at atoyota dealer
and yes I did try the swap same results.
one mechanic said it might be the steering rack,my truck has 100,000 miles on it ,Is this a common thing?

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
You might wanna check your bushings on the steering "thingy" that connects to the CVs. Sorry, I can't recall the part name... it's waaaay past my bedtime and I can barely keep my eyes open. I'm sure someone will chime in to name that part.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota 4X4
18 Posts
My 4x4 Pup had a shimmy at medium speeds as well, turned out to be a bubble in my front tire....

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi
i had this problem with my 4 runner it was wheel balance there is a buliten out to let the dealers and GOOD tire shops know that there is a spacer and correct cone to be used i went to a GOOD tire shop that deals with race cars , thay should be able to check for you its the maker of the addapors for balanceing machine i can not think of there name highwicker or some thing like that , once we got that mine is silk smooth , do not give up if i find the name i will contact you .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope it's a ballancing thing,Idon't think you can get steering stabalizers for a 98 can you?
Thanks guys for your responces
Tim

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
516 Posts
You should be able to find a generic steering stabilizer that will fit. Check out the local parts stores: Autozone, etc. BTW, I have had new, major brand tires that were out of round. It is easy to check. Jack the tire up, spin it and hold something close to the outer surface. Any problem in roundness will be obvious.
Also, there is another possibility, but very unlikely with new tires. A tire that is developing a bubble between the belt and the tread will look good at low speeds, but will act up at high speeds, and is likely to throw chunks of the tread eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to swap wheels off another toy and see if that solves anything.
I might beable to con my brother into it,he has a 2004 tundra,Iknow the tires are bigger but I wonder if the pattern is the same?:thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
look right behind the rear of the front tires you will see the rack and pinion set up. check there for any tears or wear in the setup. and report back. to see if there is a "steering stabilizer" look for something that looks like a shock attached in that area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I may have found the problem,apparently toyota put out a bulletin telling the dealerships to use a haweka adapter when ballancing tires on the 3rd generation 4 runners, this adapter uses the lug pattern instead of the center hole, apparently when the rims were manufactured the trued them using the lug pattern not the inside hole,ther for any shop that doesn't use this method of ballancing is either guessing or getting realy lucky.
You can check it out on this site.
www.gadgetonline.com/vibration.htm:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
rover1 said:
hi
i had this problem with my 4 runner it was wheel balance there is a buliten out to let the dealers and GOOD tire shops know that there is a spacer and correct cone to be used i went to a GOOD tire shop that deals with race cars , thay should be able to check for you its the maker of the addapors for balanceing machine i can not think of there name highwicker or some thing like that , once we got that mine is silk smooth , do not give up if i find the name i will contact you .
It's a Haweka adapter. Not only that, but you may want to get a road force balance too. The one type of balance that does wonders is a high speed on the car wheel balance.
The local shop here in Atlanta called "butler tire" did this for me and my truck droves like silk. What they'll do first is a roadforce balance(you can read about that here), then they'll do a traditional balance, then they'll put the wheels back on the car and spin them up to 130mph and balance them again while they're on the car. I had this done and my 4runner drove like silk. Before, i had a vibration at around 70mph and it was really bad. Everything was shaking no matter what the dealer tried to do to fix it. But after the shop got through with this, it drove like new. This may cost a little more in the beginning but it's well worth it. Made night and day difference to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts