Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tundra Double
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 05 4x4 Tundra Double Cab. However, have had 4x4 problems. Front differential broke in heavy snow, had replaced, then one week later broke again - same situation. Then in summer, front drive shaft broke. All were in 4-H. No problems since. Any ideas on what could be going on?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Stock tires? The reason I asked as severely oversized rubber can overstress the front drive axle in certain off-road conditions. I saw this happen on a GMC 2500.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like there was a ratio difference between the two. Or something wasn't right. I've put over 60 000 km on my 05 DC 4X4 and have NO problems. I have run in 4WD often enough too, snow, and off road a bit. It engages when it should, nice, quick and quiet. And disengages the same. I also run a slightly bigger tire 275 65 16. I would say the dealer fixed an assembly problem from new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove mine on some icey back roads yesterday. The terrain got a bit steep so I applied the brakes and slid side ways to a stop. As there was a cliff to the driver's side and a river at the bottom, I attempted to put my '04 DC into 4 wheel drive and the light just blinked. I attempted to move slowely backward up the hill and noticed only the back wheels spinning. The 4x4 light just blinked.

Needless to say I attempted it several times with no luck.

Being 25 miles into the woods and snowing to beat he!!, I had to continue down the road to the bottom of the hill w/out 4x4. At the bottom I tried again without any luck, blinking light continued.

It wasn't until I was nearly 10 miles down the road, or so (trying all along mind you) that it finaly engaged and the light went solid.

Is there some secret I don't know about push bottom four wheel drive? I speaking 4x4 high here not low.

When it finaly engaged I was doing about 25 mph and accelerating.

Can you put these things into 4x4 while stopped with the brakes engaged?

I'm hoping this was a fluke.

·
GT
64 Posts
Sceaduo said:
I drove mine on some icey back roads yesterday. The terrain got a bit steep so I applied the brakes and slid side ways to a stop. As there was a cliff to the driver's side and a river at the bottom, I attempted to put my '04 DC into 4 wheel drive and the light just blinked. I attempted to move slowely backward up the hill and noticed only the back wheels spinning. The 4x4 light just blinked.

Needless to say I attempted it several times with no luck.

Being 25 miles into the woods and snowing to beat he!!, I had to continue down the road to the bottom of the hill w/out 4x4. At the bottom I tried again without any luck, blinking light continued.

It wasn't until I was nearly 10 miles down the road, or so (trying all along mind you) that it finaly engaged and the light went solid.

Is there some secret I don't know about push bottom four wheel drive? I speaking 4x4 high here not low.

When it finaly engaged I was doing about 25 mph and accelerating.

Can you put these things into 4x4 while stopped with the brakes engaged?

I'm hoping this was a fluke.
Living Wisconsin I use my 4x4 for snow or if the road is really wet from a rain storm. My light will blink and then if I move forward a few feet it will engauge. Could be something with the vacuum line on yours, also both the front and rear u-joints have to be greased and I have twice now had the diffrental fuilds changed out.Maybe the vacuum lines frozen up or too much snow got up there and was preventing it fron engageing. Have you tried engaugeing it on dry pavement.? Don't over grease the u-joints, just enough so when you feel the pressure then stop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not mechanically sane. I couldn't even tell you where the zerts are to grease the u-joints. I'm not adverse to doing it, I just don't know how.

It was snowing, but not that cold. Nothing should be freezing up. It was high 20's, so if that's the case, Toyota has something wrong here. I highly doubt any driveline vacum lines will be freezing up at these temps. I hope not, it gets much, much colder here in Montana and 4x4 is desperately needed for good hunting and fishing trips.

Again this morning, the ice and snow was about 3 inches this morning on my way to work, I'm on the freeway on ramp doing maybe 35 mph and decide to hit the 4x4 high button - nothing but blinky light. No 4x4 engagement. Mind you, there is a lot of snow and slush on the road, but this is what push button 4x4 is ment for, no?

I cursed, yeah I know. I did it anyway and continued on to work carefully.

After work this afternoon, I wanted to try again, this time perfectly drive pavement (it melts fast here in Montana), and voila! She slipped into 4x4 no problem at about 35 mph. However, disengaging it after only about 200 feet there was a solid thud from the driveline. I'm not sure if that is normal or not either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally got it into the dealership, they tested it and said bad order 4-wheel drive actuator.

One's on order and will be here in a couple of days. BINGO!

Also, still covered by warranty = BINGO!!!x2

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Sceaduo said:
I'm not mechanically sane. I couldn't even tell you where the zerts are to grease the u-joints. I'm not adverse to doing it, I just don't know how.
Its good to grease them periodically. This is for a prev gen Tacoma, but the prev gen Tundras have the same set-up. Some are hard to see on the rear driveshaft, you might have to roll your truck (forward lol), the front one can turn by hand.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/maintenancep4.html#driveshaft

1 - 10 of 10 Posts