Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya All

Is it normal for there is be a hard dropping clunk sound when exiting 4 high... Does this on my 06 when moving ( maybe the issue) and sometimes when I am stopped... What ya all think??? issue or no??

Brandon

·
My Other Truck
4,319 Posts
It depends... do you ease off the gas pedal briefly as you disengage 4WD (it helps)? Also, if you are in 4WD on harder surfaces -- especially if you turn any corners -- the driveline will bind (not good on drivelines) and then release with somewhat of a bang.

It should go into 2WD fairly smoothly & quietly if there's no binding. Also, as you go in & out of 4WD more often, it will start to get smoother.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I bought my taco in Baltimore....4 months ago. I don't think the 4wd was used all too often. I believe the truck was a show vehicle... one owner, clean carfax. The 4wd does bang when disengaging, but I have only tesed it twice. I have had no need to lock it in since i test drove.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I'll echo what Splicer said... Shifting in/out of 4hi you want to be going straight and under no load on the drivetrain. Usually I'll be rolling along foot off gas or constant speed. But even stopped with wheels straight should shift ok, but a slight thunk once and a while does happen.

Keep trying it, I'll go in/out easier the more its used.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
^^^^^^ what they said. I use 4wd more in the winter so during the summer I try to put it in gear while going straight during rain storms. Between that and my camping trips....... this keeps every thing moving in an out of gear smooth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha I have updates. I wa under load the other day, had to drop into 4wd fast.... CLANKED HARD!!! but after reading here and playing with 4wd all weekend.... hasnt made a single noise once. though I havent been under any form of load since friday evening... just playing with it at this point.... Thanks guys for all the advice. I will ask though.... strange vibration in back end now... more like something loose. Could that be front when I had to hard drop it into 4wd on Friday??? I was sliding down a hill and didnt wanna hit a tree.... I know I know should be kinder to my yota....

thanks

Brandon

PS I detailed her after the slide, and yes I missed all objects in my way... thank you 4wd

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Try shifting into neutral before putting it into 4 wheel drive. That's what i do and it works like a charm. All other things being consistent.......not turning...not on pavement....not driving excessive speeds. By the way, i wish you still had to go out and lock the hubs like the good old days! This electronic crap is for the birds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts