Toyota Nation Forum banner

400K Miles in a Camry

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  02CamryXLE2AZFE 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum, But I just want to know if anyone else has gotten their Camry anywhere close to 400k miles. My dad drives a 2009 Camry which he bought with 50k miles in 2010, he drives alot for work and he is about go over 400k. And all he has ever done is get it serviced regularly. He has never had any engine or transmission work done.

#4 ·
No, but my friend in Georgia got his to around 350,000. My parents '85 Pickup had 300,000 on it plus tons of rust when they sold it. My friend sold his car because he wanted something newer and wanted a truck. I don't think he ever had any major issues with it.

#6 ·
There are quite a few Gen3&4 Camrys over 400k, here in our hi-miler thread.

#12 ·
My 2002 Camry (2.4L) currently has 386k miles. It burns about a quart of oil every 1k miles and doesn’t have quite the zip it used to have, but I’m still pleased with it. I still use it as an everyday driver just to get it to 400k, but I plan to not drive it as much once it does.

I didn’t buy the car new. I bought it in 07 & it had 57-58k miles. I’m wondering if the break-in procedure wasn’t done correctly (Don’t drive at a constant speed or race the engine the first 600 miles, etc.), and if it had, perhaps it would be in better shape. I’ve always been religious with fluid changes, babied the car when driving, and it’s mostly highway miles. I’m still pleased with the longevity nonetheless.

I also changed the oil every 3k miles (3,500 tops) with nonsynthetic oil. I’ve had folks tell me I didn’t need to change it that often, yet their vehicles didn’t have high mileage. In fact, all the people with extreme high mileage vehicles have gotten their oil changed around 3k miles (nonsynthetic), such as Irv Gordon’s 3 million mile Volvo. I do what the great ones did.

#13 ·
That's impressive. I am hoping my 02 Camry will last as long as yours. Unfortunately, mine fell victim to the horrendous cylinder head bolt stripping issue. The back three cylinder head bolts just randomly stripped out on mine last week. I'm currently at 210k miles. Thankfully caught the issue right as the head gasket fully blew and just started to overheat so I saved my engine.
Been a great car other than that, though. It's a bit discouraging to hear that you're burning that much oil at 386k miles...I didn't think these engines had oil burning problems until 2007. Have you ever replaced the valve stem seals; that could maybe be part or most of why you're burning so much oil. I'm sure some of it is due to ring wear. I know my valve stem seals were bad, however, because it always smoked on a cold start and my spark plug tube seals were fine.