Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help with a scratch on tailgate of an '08. The total thing is about 3" of top coat plus two spots totalling 1 1/4" where it is primer deep. I want it to get fixed by a professional but the dealership wants to repaint the entire tailgate! $425! Any suggestions from your experience? It seems like this is overkill.
-Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check with an appearence detailer. These guys usually work for the dealerships in your town or area. They will fix scratches, small dents. etc., that come to the dealership on lease turn ins and trades or small mishaps that occur on the lots. They computer match the paint, and repair the issue,and blend the paint with great results. Have personally used different guys in the past to do this. The same guy that works on 3-4 cars at Lexus on monday will be at the Ford dealership on tuesday doing their fixes. They usually have a trailer they pull from site to site. Its really amazing what they can do right in the parking lot. Some will even come to your home or business although its usually cheaper to bring the vehicle to them while they're working at the dealer on their few jobs. Hope this helps, I imagine your job would easily be under 200.00.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Sometimes it can be very hard to blend the new paint into the old. On smaller panels such as a tailgate it is usually easier and quicker to repaint the whole thing. If the shop were to try and blend the two affected areas, it would likely take longer and you'll end up paying more for a less desirable finish. Most shops will charge you for at least a pint of paint anyways, even if they only need an ounce.

To be honest I don't think I would even worry about scratches that small. The tailgate always takes a beating for anyone who uses their truck as a truck, and will probably have a few more scuffs as soon after its refinished.

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
body and paint is not easy, therefore it's not cheap. if it were easy, you would do it yourself. $425 to paint a tailgate is about right, it is more work than you think. the thing about those guys that come out and do spot repairs for dealerships is that they either will do it for cheap and it will look cheap, or they will do it right (as right as they possibly can do it while spraying paint in a parking lot) and it will be expensive. they do work for dealerships and whip out a bunch of cars in a day but the quality is typically low. they do just about a good enough job that the potential customer looking at the car won't notice it, but if you knew it was there and knew it was repaired you would notice the difference.

if you want it done right, pay the bodyshop to do it right. if you want it cheap, a touch up pen is your friend.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Touch up pen...It's a truck. Your scratch may be the first, but certainly won't be the last, especially on the tailgate (if your truck is not a mall maiden).

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,699 Posts
My theory is just wait a little while, surely someone else will hit you and you can get it fixed at his expense... it never fails, people just don't care.

I drive 32K/year and I get hit a lot.... trailer hitches are worlds best vehicle protection... If I could get away with it, I would weld up a big spike and put it in my hitch just to be entertained...LOL

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
I drive 32K/year and I get hit a lot.... trailer hitches are worlds best vehicle protection... If I could get away with it, I would weld up a big spike and put it in my hitch just to be entertained...LOL
:lol:

My wife hit a guy once (full size Ford) with her Subaru, he had a ball mount in his trailer hitch, it pierced her bumper and she was stuck against his truck. She called me (we lived 5 minutes away) so I showed up and the guy was laughing his ass off when I showed up.

He pulled his truck forward and it ripped the plastic bumper cover off the Subaru and it was still stuck to his truck. We had to rip it off, the guy was a good sport.

:Bruce:

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,699 Posts
Man, that sucks.... sorry to get a chuckle at your expense...LOL

I had a woman hit my last truck and it punched a perfectly square hole in her bumper...LOL. I had an old man hit my hitch and he sat there pushing me forward. I went back and had a little conversation with him and he paniced, he slammed it in reverse and hit the car behind him!

Truth be told, it's illegal here in PA to drive around with your hitch installed.... I'll get right on that :thumbsup:

Here's agood one... a friend of mine has a Ford Dual wheel Diesel, he never takes his hitch off and he backs up till he feels a bump. He backed up against a guard rail in a resteraunt parking lot and the ball dipped and hooked under the guard rail... he was stuck! He had to lock in his hubs and go into granny gear... he pulled the guide rail out to get free....idiot..LOL!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Somebody with a hitch (or whatever) backed into my daughter's Subaru while she was parked. The hitch (or whatever) pierced her bumper. We didn't think that it was all that funny.:sosad:

:lol:

My wife hit a guy once (full size Ford) with her Subaru, he had a ball mount in his trailer hitch, it pierced her bumper and she was stuck against his truck. She called me (we lived 5 minutes away) so I showed up and the guy was laughing his ass off when I showed up.

He pulled his truck forward and it ripped the plastic bumper cover off the Subaru and it was still stuck to his truck. We had to rip it off, the guy was a good sport.

:Bruce:
Now to the OP. If it really bothers you get it painted the right way...the whole tailgate. That's what I would do if it were my 2007 Ram.

·
Registered
177 Posts
take a picture of the scratch and maybe we can help you fix it your self and make it look good enough that you won't notice it from 10 ft away.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma DC,4X4
166 Posts
Need some help with a scratch on tailgate of an '08. The total thing is about 3" of top coat plus two spots totaling 1 1/4" where it is primer deep. I want it to get fixed by a professional but the dealership wants to repaint the entire tailgate! $425! Any suggestions from your experience? It seems like this is overkill.
-Thanks

Regardless what anyone says, A scratch is A big deal when its your truck.

My opinion is to get more estimates at least three. If you want to get it fixed do it right by getting it done at a professional body shop. Getting it done by a parking lot painter will look good for about a year or two and then you will see the blend.
The price is a bit high in my opinion. I think it should be about 250 300.
And remember that the price should include the removal of the handle and new emblems.
Understand that it dose take alot to get scratches out. After the body man takes out the handle and removes the emblems, you need to sand the scratch out then use a primer and sand the primer as well as the rest of the tail gate and then tape off the inside of the tail gate, seal it then paint it and then the clear coat.
Good luck with what ever you do.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts