Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota is conducting a safety recall involving certain 2020 Model Year Avalon Hybrid, 2020 Model Year Camry, 2020 Model Year Camry Hybrid, 2019-2020 RAV4, 2019-2020 RAV4 Hybrid and 2020 Model Year Lexus ES 300h in the United States. Approximately 44,000 vehicles are involved in this recall.

The Problem: An engine block was manufactured incorrectly, which may cause coolant to leak during normal engine operation... engine damage could cause oil to leak.. risk of fire.
The Fix: Dealers will inspect the engine block casting serial number and, if it’s determined to be involved, will replace the engine and engine block with a new one for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It looks like the recalls are showing up on the Toyota Recall Website

When I was shopping for an Avalon, I was comparing prices, options, etc in a spreadsheet. I had the VINs, so I checked them on the recall website. The pattern I'm seeing is if the last 6 digits are between 013214 (highest number on the low end of the recall that was NOT recalled) and 013926 (lowest number on the high end of the recall NOT recalled) (I'm showing 013261 & 013880 recalled), with some exceptions in the 0135XX range not being recalled. I looked at about 60 Avalon Hybrid VINs

·
Registered
84 Posts

In a written statement, Toyota announced that about 250 out of the 44,191 recalled vehicles will actually need their engine replaced, but dealers will have to check the serial numbers on the engine blocks in recalled vehicles to determine whether they were part of the faulty batch.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I 'spose that we'll see, hopefully, that is all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If my vehicle was affected (currently not) I would be very upset that a brand new car will need what is basically an open-heart surgery (I mean, what doesn't plumb through the engine and engine bay?). Besides that, another thing that bothers me is this:

Toyota said it discovered the problem when it found vehicles with coolant leaks during inspections of new vehicles at factories and dealers.
So apparently they don't have a QC process that checks for engine cracks? In this case, the crack was bad enough where fluid started pooling somewhere. Just surprised and worrying that a fundamental manufacturing defect like an engine crack got discovered this way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So apparently they don't have a QC process that checks for engine cracks? In this case, the crack was bad enough where fluid started pooling somewhere. Just surprised and worrying that a fundamental manufacturing defect like an engine crack got discovered this way.
Perhaps the engine block was stressed and the cracks did not develop until the engines were brought up to full operating temperature? How do you find that? That is why they call them mistakes...somebody did not see that the water flow meter was not doing it's job. At least it wasn't something that got "lost" on 44000 cars....maybe 250?

Stuff happens. Be glad that on your job, that a mistake doesn't cost 5K to 7K, x 250, and a lot of trouble/worry + …...
In any manufacturing process there are going to be problems/waste/defects. After you find one, then you go back to find out how many there are.

According to a written statement from the automaker, a water flow meter at the factory failed while some engine blocks were being cast. As a result, these blocks did not cool properly, which caused cracks to develop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stuff happens. Be glad that on your job, that a mistake doesn't cost 5K to 7K, x 250, and a lot of trouble/worry + …...
In any manufacturing process there are going to be problems/waste/defects. After you find one, then you go back to find out how many there are.
Catastrophic engine failure happens from the factory? Maybe with Ford, shouldn't happen with Toyota. Somebody at Toyota should have identified this process as critical, put a sensor on it, and automatically stop the assembly line when either the water stopped flowing or the engine block did not reach a certain temperature or ideally both as a fail-safe. I'm sure they'll prevent this specific issue from happening again, but I expect Toyota to be more proactive in identifying potential issues like this. I mean, this is what separates (or should) Toyota from the others.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is a link to the Camry Hybrid thread with a more in depth explanation of the situation:

More particulars here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts