Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla S that i bought new that now has 48k miles. When braking or hitting any sort of bump or uneven road, a loud creak comes from below the front passenger side. It is only on the passenger side. A good example would be turning right into a slightly uphill parking lot, although if there are bumps present near where you stop at a stop light it will also make the noise. The car has never been in any accidents except for one instance where a brick flew out of a construction truck while on the highway and hit the ground and crumbled into pieces and one of those pieces ended up impaling the front grille which I had repaired. It has been to Toyota for its maintenance every 5,000 miles and the past few services i mentioned it to them, they said it was bushings and I paid for them to replace/lubricate them (i don't remember which) but when i got the car back i heard the noise again. They continue to tell me that there is nothing wrong. It has been getting progressively worse since i noticed it last year. I attached a video of a right turn into a parking lot and it gives a pretty good example of what the sound is. I'm thinking of taking it to a mechanic that's not Toyota, but does anybody have any idea what this could be?

https://flic.kr/p/2a6647L

·
Registered
'94 and '14 Corollas
244 Posts
Mine does the same thing and it's been over a year. I've mentioned it to Toyota twice, and they tried to say my plastic hubcap was touching the valve stem...ridiculous.

I think it's the bushings (either sway bar or LCA), and I've greased both, which didn't fix it. To replace the LCA bushing I think they're press-in/out, so that would also involve an alignment..

I'm just living with it for now. Definitely more noticeable while cold outside, but just know you're not alone!

·
Registered
1999 Corolla CE
898 Posts
Stabilizer link on this side is kaput.Very common on these and most front wheel drive cars.Its very inexpensive to replace...not even 30 minutes.You car will ride like new again.:smile:

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S, Upgr
81 Posts
Stabilizer link on this side is kaput.Very common on these and most front wheel drive cars.Its very inexpensive to replace...not even 30 minutes.You car will ride like new again.:smile:
When you say "inexpensive"...at the dealership/garage kind of inexpensive, or the kind of inexpensive where you can easily to in your own driveway? Just curious as I have the same issue.

·
New TN User
50 Posts
My 2017 with 12k miles does this super bad on both front wheels and the back driver rear wheel. Makes a loud creaking sound even when going over a bump on the road or going into my driveway. Mentioned it to my service advisor who said it’s normal. Even though my previous Toyota, a yaris, didn’t start making these noises until wel after 100k miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stabilizer links can be easy repairs, depends on the car. You'll need a jack, jack stands, ratchet, possibly an extension, metric sockets, and some time. Youtube is your friend.

I've replaced them on my Miata, and my pickup. Pretty easy to do.

The part itself is not expensive, and if you have it done at dealer/independent should not be more than 1/2 hour of labor. That being said, dealer will most likely want to sell you a bunch more stuff to get that bill up to at least $450-$500.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rollas have an odd setup. Need a hex head and a open end wrench to remove stabilizer bars. Now is the time to upgrade them. If they are the same part number has the 9th gen corollas then you are golden. If you are lowered you can use mustang gt (v8) endlinks which are .750" shorter and beefier and greesable. Might have to do some grinding to make em fit though

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Corolla LE
154 Posts
Even though my previous Toyota, a yaris, didn’t start making these noises until wel after 100k miles.
When i listened to your vid in your thread, my first reaction was "that's an old car noise".

I know in my head that forums like this massively amplify the perception of problems. But emotionally, I'm thinking "why did i buy this piece of crap?".

Douglas Finney, i really feel for you. I'm not getting how so many different things can be wrong on an essentially new car. The previous owner must have been really special.

·
New TN User
50 Posts
When i listened to your vid in your thread, my first reaction was "that's an old car noise".

I know in my head that forums like this massively amplify the perception of problems. But emotionally, I'm thinking "why did i buy this piece of crap?".

Douglas Finney, i really feel for you. I'm not getting how so many different things can be wrong on an essentially new car. The previous owner must have been really special.
I’m glad someone appreciates my pain. I’m usually not a complainer. I’m usually a go with the flow kind of guy. But all these problems are not ignorable. They aren’t annoyances butbare actual things that if not fixed will only get worse. And my warranty for bumper to bumper only has a year left. Once they get it fixed enough that it’s not popping, squeaking, rattling and creaking I am going to sell this car. I’ve thought about offering the dealership to trade for an equal value car on their lot just to get out of this piece of junk. Maybe explain that it will be to their benefit they won’t have to fix it once a week for another year. I doubt they will do anything to remotely help me. I’ve contacted Toyota corporate and have a case manager that is going to call me. While I don’t qualify for the lemon law they said their may be other options like getting a 3rd party who is neutral, who doesn’t want to decline work because they aren’t paid enough by warranty to come to the dealer and inspect my car and find the actual problems and report them. I don’t know if this is possible and the Toyota rep didn’t either. But I know if I took this car to a reputable mechanic and paid him $200 to inspect this car he would probably find a dozen problems in an hour. I just want what’s fair and not a dealer that is obviously rushing through diagnostics and avoiding it at all costs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,005 Posts
@Douglas Finney, I know you have gone through a great deal of pains to get your issues resolved. It is tough having to rearrange life just to get to the dealership to drop it off for service.

Most dealers will help the best way possible. Some have great techs, while others don't. It definitely sounds being rushed, but they are going by book hours.

It might not be a bad idea to get another dealership involved to see if they find a different result. Especially since they may want to use a 3rd party to assist in finding a solution.

·
Registered
'94 and '14 Corollas
244 Posts
FWIW, I've mentioned this issue three times to the dealer. First time I think my description got misconstrued and the tech looked at the struts, literally drove over one speed bump and said "these struts are fine!". I watched the dash cam video after I got home, which is how I know.

Second time they said it could be because the hub cap wasn't centered on the wheel, and the edge of the hub cap was touching the rubber valve stem where you fill the air into the tire.

Third time they said there would be a $120 diagnostic fee IF they didn't find anything physically wrong with it. I have a 125k warranty and called Toyota corporate - they said that if the bushing is cracked / worn / ovaled out, then it would be replaced under warranty and I wouldn't be charged that diagnostic fee. But if it just was a noise and there was no sign of physical damage to the rubber, I could be on the hook for the diagnostic fee.

I've lived with the sound ever since..might mention it again when I go in for an oil change at 100k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

So, Since I posted this, I took the car to an independent mechanic and he said that there is nothing physically wrong with anything down there. That it is just noise.

So then I took it to a different Toyota Dealership closer to where I live since I moved. They had it for two days and and finally called me and said that the noise is the lower control arm. AND they also said that I should replace the driver side. Then they gave me an estimate, about 470 dollars per side. I asked what exactly the problem is with the part and they said that it is functioning fine, but just noisy, which I disagree with somewhat because the function of it is not to make any noise. I told them to go ahead and order the part for the passenger side only and made an appointment which is tomorrow. Here's the funny thing, ever since I picked it up on Thursday, I have not heard the noise once. I even went to the same driveway that I took the video and nothing. It sounded perfectly normal. To my knowledge, they didn't do anything but inspect it, so now my fear is that they're going to replace it and the noise will be back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same noise and had both lower control arms replaced under warranty. the PN is 4806802300. That was in May 2018 and 15k miles later, no noise. That repair came about after Toyota opened a TAS case for the issue. ZSmall, if your warranty has expired, I'd press Toyota Corporate to see if they'll share the costs, or you could simply live with it as there's nothing really wrong with the suspension other than a noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up telling the Dealer to just replace the passenger side as I knew the noise would be back in the future. They ended up ordering the wrong part on the day of my service and apparently a corporate rep was around and "looked into" my case. I believe that the car is out of warranty now, but they did end up replacing the driver's side free of charge. I picked up the car yesterday and I haven't heard any noises since!

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW, I've mentioned this issue three times to the dealer. First time I think my description got misconstrued and the tech looked at the struts, literally drove over one speed bump and said "these struts are fine!". I watched the dash cam video after I got home, which is how I know.

Second time they said it could be because the hub cap wasn't centered on the wheel, and the edge of the hub cap was touching the rubber valve stem where you fill the air into the tire.

Third time they said there would be a $120 diagnostic fee IF they didn't find anything physically wrong with it. I have a 125k warranty and called Toyota corporate - they said that if the bushing is cracked / worn / ovaled out, then it would be replaced under warranty and I wouldn't be charged that diagnostic fee. But if it just was a noise and there was no sign of physical damage to the rubber, I could be on the hook for the diagnostic fee.

I've lived with the sound ever since..might mention it again when I go in for an oil change at 100k.
My 2016 Toyota Corolla was new and the dealership refused to fix the noise... I got rid of the car smh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts