Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I now have my daughter-in-law's 93 corolla in my driveway to tinker with.
DX wagon, 7A-FE, 5spd, no a/c. 151k miles.
It runs great.
But it didn't pass smog today. failed miserably.
It's originally from Alaska, then speent a few years in the northwest before ending up here in California a couple of years ago.
It has passed smog before but it was before we knew her.
I want to replace the O2 sensor and I've read that there are 2. I can see the one on the exhaust manifold and I believe the other is post-cat.
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to replace them.

But my question is:
Do I get the California spec ones or the 49-state spec ones?

Sounds like a stupid question but I really can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,022 Posts
I am pretty sure that if it's a '93, it only has one (upstream) O2 sensor, no matter what. If all else seems OK, that might be a good thing to replace if it looks old.

Look at the sticker under the hood with the engine info. It darned well should specify whether the car is Cali-spec, or a 49 stater.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,510 Posts
Post the emissions test results. The numbers will tell what components may be out of spec.

The tricky thing is that the test should be done based upon the car's currently registered address. Not the address of the smog station or the person bringing the car in for testing. CA's enhanced smog areas have tighter emissions numbers and also tests for NOx, which is not tested outside of enhanced areas.

In 1993, CA cars had 2x O2-sensors with flange-mounting. The 49-state Federal cars had one O2-sensor with screw-on mounting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts