Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am new to the forum, and I have a 1991 Geo Prizm with the mighty 4A-FE motor :rockon:. I inherited this car from my grandmother with only 68,000 original miles on it. I absolutely love this car. Unfortunately I have been doomed with a A131L 3-Speed auto tranny :headbang:. Despite my love for this car, I absolutely hate the transmission. It screams for more gears going down the highway, and the ratios aren't ideal for peppy acceleration.

So my main question is, if I went and bought my self a Corolla/Prizm 4A-FE 5-SPD parts car, could I literally just swap all the transmission components between the cars and end up with a 5-SPD Prizm?

I am very mechanically inclined, so a project like this doesn't scare me. Is there anything unusual that I should know about that will need to be swapped? Its my understanding that the A131L tranny has a seperate differential from the tranny. Does the 5SPD have that kind of situation too? Will the bell housings still bolt right up?

Well thanks for all of your time and info!

Prizdog

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes you can swap to a 5 spd easy. as long as the trans came from a 4afe or 4age it will bolt up (a series motors) you will need to drill holes in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder (iirc they are stamped, just need to be drilled) iirc you have to loosen/remove the brake master cylinder/booster to route the slave cylinder line btw :welcome:

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a typical timeline for a porject like this? I plan on spending a few hours a day on it, and all day on weekends. And will i need to swap the ecu's?

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. Thanks for all your help guys! I always debate back and fourth whether I should sell it cause the 3 speed tranny is junk! I hopefully concur this project this summer.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its almost showroom quality. It is an awesome car and its got lots of pep despite its tranny. Its got no rust and has been garaged its whole life. I think ill keep it, especially since i have grown so attached to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.