Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,047 Posts
The main front seal is the one that's likely to leak over time. I don't know if replacing the others is necessary.

It looks like the crank seal in the kit, and it makes sense because all of these seals and gaskets are listed by Toyota under Engine/Fuel/Tool > Engine Oil Pump, like at toyotapartsdeal.com, and that is an oil pump kit.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main front seal is the one that's likely to leak over time. I don't know if replacing the others is necessary.

It looks like the crank seal in the kit, and it makes sense because all of these seals and gaskets are listed by Toyota under Engine/Fuel/Tool > Engine Oil Pump, like at toyotapartsdeal.com, and that is an oil pump kit.
Awesome. That's what I was kinda figuring. I would hate to have it all torn apart and realize I'm missing something. Thank you!

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you're going that deep, replace the cam and the valve cover seals (and rtv the hard edges).

Might want to consider a new timing belt too.
That's the plan. I'm actually pulling the motor cause I'm changing the rear main too. It leaks a little from the rear main, and alot from the front of the engine, I'm guessing the front crank but who knows till it's taken apart. I'm going to replace the front crank seal, timing belt, water pump (leaks), valve cover gasket, rear main seal, cam seal, and I'll reseal the oil pan. I'm also going to replace all the motor mounts.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,047 Posts
PCV grommet, valve cover nut gaskets, oil cap gasket, distributor o-ring, coolant hoses, PCV hoses, vacuum hoses?

Reactions: Prizdog

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caleb, That kit comes with four gaskets. Oil pump plate seal, oil pump pick-up tube seal, crank seal and the dip-stick "O" ring seal.
Perfect, thank you!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
take a pic of the leaking rear main, I'm intrigued..... I'm not sure I've actually seen a 4a with a leaky rear main......

Generally on a 4age it's a valve cover leak, or a cam seal leak that travels along the edge of the HG and drips down the trans..... on a 4afe it's either the same thing or it's the dizzy leak.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Yea lots of rear main seals (of many different engines) get blamed for leaks that are from other places. I would change everything else like was mentioned by others here and see if that fixes it first. If it does then you saved yourself from pulling the motor. If not, you were probably going to want to change all of them anyways.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,047 Posts
I thought mine was leaking from the rear main seal, but now I wonder if it's just the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
take a pic of the leaking rear main, I'm intrigued..... I'm not sure I've actually seen a 4a with a leaky rear main......

Generally on a 4age it's a valve cover leak, or a cam seal leak that travels along the edge of the HG and drips down the trans..... on a 4afe it's either the same thing or it's the dizzy leak.
Oh yeah. Matter of fact the 4A-FE that was in my Corolla leaked out of the rear main too. I don't have a pic but it was definitely leaking. Could see the oil on the outside of it. There was oil all over the bottom of the bell housing too:

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Corolla
2,205 Posts

This is interesting. My 4AFE leaves little drops around the rear main seal. I did the valve cover gasket and distributor O-ring and it still leaks, so I assume it is the rear main seal. How would a cam seal leak travel to the transmission?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I'm still not sold it's a rear main..... did the back of the flywheel look oily?

I've seen transmissions in mr2's look exactly the same, rear main dry.

Oil travels along edges, and those edges (and their angles) change and the path of oil changes both when there's a load on the engine and if air travels across the engine.

I've seen many 4age's with a leaky cam seal - oil travels behind the timing belt plate, down to the head gasket, along the head gasket all the way to #4 end, and down to/around the transmission. The transmission makes for a great spot for oil to travel as it has several paths oil can take, which include between the bellhousing plate (on the engine side) and the bellhousing.

I would only replace a rear main if I pulled the crank out of the block.

In a 4afe there's always a chance the dizzy o ring leaks on that end.

Valve covers are tricky to get right.... and even on my 4afe alltrac I didn't get it sealed (either due to cheap gasket or something else) and it leaked within a year or so. You rarely see the path of where the leak takes place - because it's always supplied with clean, fresh oil and the oil seeping "washes" away the dirt/debris. Oil that accumulates from a leak (after it's traveled) is where an oil leak becomes visible to the eye easily.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla,
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still not sold it's a rear main..... did the back of the flywheel look oily?

I've seen transmissions in mr2's look exactly the same, rear main dry.
Now that I've had the engine out, I have proof that she was leaking at the rear main. The pic isn't very good but whatever:

I've now replaced the seal, and it's not loosing a drop!!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Gonna guess that isn't an original rear main.....

I should digress a little..... original rear mains don't usually leak. They tend to get a little bit of a groove and the factory seal kinda works it's way with the crank over time. Shops who do clutch replacements tend to go with the maintenance idea - which for almost all cars is a good idea.....

Unless it gets a speedi sleeve (or there's zero groove on the crank at all) it could leak with the new seal pretty quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.