Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 Corolla is in need of a new engine or rebuild. I've only rebuilt Chevy V8s, and decent rebuild kit for the 7A-FE is kind of expensive. I have read about the 4A-GE 20v and it seems fairly awesome. I was wondering what all needs to be done to install it in an AE102. It comes with everything but mounts. It is at this place call "Japan Motor Import"

http://www.japanmotorimport.com/JDM_engine/Toyota/34/4A-GE 20V_1991

I know a rebuild would essentially be a new engine, but the cams may be bad and that isn't cheap. It has 195K and no compression in cylinder #1, runs rough and smokes blue really bad. Can you make suggestions for me and maybe tell me of a better JDM supplier if this one is questionable.
Thank You -Josh

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jarcoinc.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 20v in my 96. used my 4afe mounts and axles, you need to rewire the engine harness for the new ecu but its not hard if you have the wiring diagrams and ecu pinouts.

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It comes with a new wiring harness, are the mounts on the 7A-FE the same as the 4A? Do the shifter linkages line up? Do you have pictures of it installed?

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you get parts for it? Spark plugs/wires, oil filters, what weight oil and synthetic? Does it get much less fuel economy?

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
1,121 Posts
any A series engine, such as 4age and 7afe use the same mounts and locations...thus lots of people go with the 20v in corollas and mr2s...=D Just make sure when you buy it it comes with a ECU and maybe the tranny and uncut wire harness. Most jdm engines have only 50k-60k miles...don't get that one that has 195k miles lol.

If I was going to get one right now I'd get the blacktop with a 6 spd!

$2k free shipping!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coro...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
398 Posts
to be honest with ya thats just too much money for little performance. I wouldnt spend more than 1300 personally on the corolla to make it faster as far as a complete swap went.

Theres so many other platforms to choose from out there at a reasonable price that you can throw 2k at and get significant hp improvements

1 - 7 of 7 Posts