Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes. The circuits for neutral start/clutch safety switch and reverse light are the same, just different switches for automatic and manual, so just a matter of splicing wires to the new switches. And you don't really need the clutch safety switch if you are careful to remember to push the clutch or put the manual shifter in N before cranking.
Thats fine but will cruise control work when its spliced together to bypass the pn sensor? And will it work without the cruise control clutch switch? (Not the clutch safety switch) unless theyre the same? I have no idea right now due to heat outside and local junkyards dont have any manuals atm, just autos

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
The clutch cruise control switch is a different switch. Without that switch you could splice the wires to always be connected or always be disconnected. One way cruise would never engage. The other way if you push the clutch in while cruise is engaged the engine RPMs will skyrocket I assume. Seems like that switch is a pretty important feature. The RPMs would be limited by the computer, but you still might not want to accidently have the cruise control computer opening the throttle with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The clutch cruise control switch is a different switch. Without that switch you could splice the wires to always be connected or always be disconnected. One way cruise would never engage. The other way if you push the clutch in while cruise is engaged the engine RPMs will skyrocket I assume. Seems like that switch is a pretty important feature. The RPMs would be limited by the computer, but you still might not want to accidently have the cruise control computer opening the throttle with the clutch disengaged.
THATS my main worry, cause like you said and i have finally found out, i can splice engine wires together no problem but the kicker is gonna be the cruise control clutch switch, i really dont wanna shift a gear and it redlines and burns my clutch while i cruise or somethin lol. Im going at it again right now to see if this body harness from the driver side is multiple pieces or if im gonna have to fully tear into my interior to get at it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I am so lost lmfao. im wondering if this is just one big harness under the dash and id have to rip it out to get it n whatnot cause jfc it splits from the center out really i guess and im assuming since i dont want to tear into my dash right now not this moment due to time constraints but holy hell

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The wires that come from the firewall loop up the the black bundle which then heads up to this big blue box figure up top the dash and splits off further from there

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Oh lord so i finally came to the conclusion if i wanna do this ill need todo a body harness swap and engine harness swap, the engine harness is no big deal but the body oh lord. In the picture where my hand is theres those wires i pointed out earlier that go up but they join with that center blue box (which also has wiring coming from it from the right side) and goes down the side (see pic with green arrow) to the junction block. Course only way to get that harness is by tearing the dash out, its only a matter of trim pieces and stuff holding it on but man itd an involved job because the harness is boLTED TO THE DAMN DASH like who wh— why. Even for example the far right air ducts are bolted to the dash in reverse, im like bruuuuuuhhhhhh. Anyway i have still yet to find a corolla like mine except as a manual as there has been a shortage of 93-97 corollas lately in the yards. As far as im concerned if i want cruise with low chance it wont work i might as well do a body harness and engine harness to play it safe, now just gotta wait for a suitable donor to show up in a yard to get it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all, ive been lurking around here for the past few months and finally made a profile for myself to see if i could find some more answers to what im looking for. I have just came into possession as of recent of a mint AE102 94 Toyota corolla DX with the 1.8L 7A-FE engine (NO EGR) and 4spd trans with roughly 52000 miles on the odometer (i say roughly cause i dont know exactly off the top my head and it is legit, checked on TIS aka Toyota dealer stuff and this person who owned it drove it like 1000 miles every 3 years Jesus). Being from the rustbelt area i had another one the exact same except a 95 and it was just withering away with rust at 204k (now sold). Anyway with this ”new” corolla i wanted to plan out a 4A-GE swap. This will be my first ever full engine swap and i need all the research i can get, hence why i created this account. for starters i know the ST and BT will bolt into the same mounts n whatnot i get that, plus if i can get an automatic trans from a ST or BT combined with the engine itll be great because i do not want to go through the hassle of converting it to manual. For now im just trying to make this swap go as smooth as possible so what im looking for is a BT or ST with an automatic trans to bolt up easily. Next with wiring i hear you have to combine both the 7A harness with whatever GE harness you get because as long as you have the ecu for the GE it plugs the same, but i have two problems, one i have cruise control with this 94 (which has a separate ecu but it goes through my 7a harness under the intake) and two, would i have to tear apart my 7A fusebox to have the same connections as a BT/ST? Or will i have to just like cut open both harness looms to see what goes where and tuck my cruise control stuff into the GE loom? I know theres a few other things that go through the same hole in the firewall where the ecu sits for the body so thats what im trying to ask i guess is do i have to open both looms up to swap body harnesses inside? Three for the power steering pump i know i got to fabricate some separate reservoir and figure out what fittings go where. I have read this forum for info but he did like a fitting delete due to converting to manual AE101/102 20V Blacktop swap info so not sure what they meant by that.. fourth is a/c, im planning on using the jdm compressor but ill need to find lines thatll fit on it and route up easily to the solid line on the front right high and low side lines that run into the firewall. Now fifth i need to actually find a decent engine with trans. I found these on ebay but looking at the photos both of these had their harnesses cut at different points for idk what and idk why so i keep those tabs open but im on the fence about them, plus the price seems excessive for an engine that almost everyone wants a manual in.. JDM Toyota Corolla Levin 1.6L Engine & Auto Transmission Jdm 4A GE 4AGE BLACKTOP | eBay
then i found this front clip in maylasia but idk how importing that works and i dont want to wait like 2 months for it and then have to pay import fees or somethin idk Halfcut toyota lavin ae111 4a black top auto - Car Accessories & Parts for sale in Klang, Selangor - Mudah.my
so thats another issue too— where to buy lol
the reason im planning it this much too is because well im breaking the number one rule of car modding, playing doctor with your daily.. but i think itll look awesome and rip even with an automatic, i even thought about just bolting up my 7A trans but i hear the ratios are different and itll be more wiring work so just trying to keep it as simple as possible. hope i can find some answers!
Why you don't do a 7afe hybrid..... 7afe block and 20v head .....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Why you don't do a 7afe hybrid..... 7afe block and 20v head .....
That involves internal engine work aka custom pistons and new headbolts/studs and timing belt which i have no idea what to use plus standalone ecu and other stuff i assume

·
Registered
Rolla DX
301 Posts
Following.. really interested in how its going to turn out

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Update: did a lookover on my car, driver side axle began to leak grease near the trans. Tried getting a oem axle, part no longer avaliable, getting a boot kit for the inner side of the axle, when i looked up parts it gave me two different ones when i thought the axles for the trans auto or manual would be the same, but the difference was one had abs one didnt so were good there still. still nothing on parts car holy hell. Nothing in the yards and nothing on fb or craiglist.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
Here's a comment from a previous thread about swapping to a manual transmission.
Anyone who ever does this says: Get a donor car! Keep the donor car until the job is DONE. Every time you THINK you have a complete parts list, there's something silly you forgot. Halorulers reminder about the brake pedal is a good example. Also having the donor nearby makes it easier for doing things like drilling the holes for the clutch MC.

-SP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Update: so far absolutely nothing in the yards, the ones that are there are all autos. A 92 showed up a few days ago smh why couldnt it have been 93. Ive been looking on fb for a donor car but theyre all autos too In a 100 mile radius! Craiglist is d e a d since no more results on there for these cars lol. Its just been annoying waiting for one to show up stg. Sorry for no progress yall

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
I just looked at the inventory online at 3 junkyards in the Phoenix area and found 5, 4, and 3 7th gens, so in the desert they are still around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I just looked at the inventory online at 3 junkyards in the Phoenix area and found 5, 4, and 3 7th gens, so in the desert they are still around.
Nice, im nowhere near there, i live in the midwest

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,184 Posts
Nice, im nowhere near there, i live in the midwest
Some salvage yards will sell stuff online, but be sure to compare their prices to what you can buy new, online... The difference, or lack thereof, may shock you.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts