Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,224 Posts
Car-part.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
BIG UPDATE: OK SO i finally found a donor for now but we will see how long it lasts considering its already been half shredded apart in the engine. So i found a yard an hour from where i lived and went to it to find a 96 wagon standard, the condition i found it in was… acceptable since it had been there since the 9th of june 2021 (it is the 26th of june 2021 as i write this) and the engine bay had been tinkered with, harness exposed to the elements and all fuses missing with the cover off the fuse block so no way in hell i was going to get that harness. I forgot my line wrenches and actual open ended wrenches to do anything with the lines (im planning to get brand new clutch slave/master cylinder so i only needed the line but again forgot line wrenches) anyway so i moved to the interior, some parts and pieces missing but nothing too crazy. Unfortunately someone had taken the front panel with the cover and the shift knob already so that was out, the linkage was still there and i was planning to dig into this but one it had been raining all day on and off, pouring to light rain to sun to pouring repeating, anyway due to the rain, being far from home and almost drowning the original corolla to get to the yard the only thing i could get was the body harness, clutch pedal with nuts and bolts and spring, it had cruise control so it had the cruise cancel switch with the clutch so the only thing that caught me off guard was its a 96, obd2 and it had like an oxygen sensor connecter on the lower right near the center of the car, i didnt take photos due to rain but not sure if this will affect my setup considering it connects to the harness coming from the engine and it had the obd2 connector cut off. course i also got the brake pedal as well. and yeah to get the body harness the whole dash has to come off and the dash had the harness bolted to the dash and you gotta take the vents off the dash to get the screws holding hpthe harness smh. The junkyard one i ripped out but when i do mine i gotta be careful. Anyway thats a few things down for now.

NEEDED PARTS
engine harness
*clutch slave/master cylinder
*flywheel
*clutch and associated parts
clutch fluid line
transmission
transmission linkage
ecm (same year as harness or a 94 ecm?)

PARTS COLLECTED
interior body harness
clutch pedal with bolts and return spring and clutch safety start and cruise control clutch cancel
brake pedal
(parts marked in * means ill get them new)

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
Did you get the clutch start switch and the brake pedal switch? The brake pedal switch is different with/without cruise control.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Did you get the clutch start switch and the brake pedal switch? The brake pedal switch is different with/without cruise control.
Yeah the harness and pedals came from the same car, im going to go back tomorrow because the weather will be better and i might exchange the body harness with the 93, there was a 93 wagon there standard as well but it was further in and due to the rain i went with the closer option and was there longer than the 96 and looking at ewds yeah i think my best bet is to exchange the harness with the 93 and get that ecu too

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
BIG UPDATE 2: i went back today to get the other harness, i didnt even tear into it much before realizing the 93 had no airbag w h a t. So i had to stick with the 96 harness, i took a photo of the 96 ecu to see if the part numbers match for a 93 mt ecu or a auto ecu because the harness has connectors for a heated oxygen sensor which mine doesnt and to see if my auto ecu will be ok with this harness. Anyway i got the shift knob, cover, associated clips, shift lever with assorted clips and screws and i DID NOT get the linkage because one i need to know how to pull em through the firewall, never done anything like this before i had no idea how to pull em out or pull em in and two the cables on the 96 were marginal because one of the cables coating was completely rotted off, the cable was ok but its exposed and overtime with saltwater itll rot too, my main concern now is how to get the cables out for the auto trans linkage and manual trans linkage. ONE THING that also has to be changed and glad i noticed was the coolant reservoir! The auto trans has the coolant tank on a fixed slot on the trans while the manual DOES NOt and its bolted UNDER the battery tray. So im not sure if this 96 harness will work with my auto ecu and im going to compare part numbers with manual trans ecu 96 to 94 auto ecu and manual ecu for 94

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,184 Posts
You'll want to study a pinout of the donor and recipient ECUs to make sure that those pins used by that downstream O2 sensor aren't used for something else on the ECU you plan to use. Always a good idea to check (and compare) every pin/terminal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
You'll want to study a pinout of the donor and recipient ECUs to make sure that those pins used by that downstream O2 sensor aren't used for something else on the ECU you plan to use. Always a good idea to check (and compare) every pin/terminal.
Ill have to compare a 96 pinout to the one connector from the body harness to ecu and a 94 pinout, ill update later

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
BU 2.1 so i looked at the ewd of the 94 and 96 and i dont think this harness will work. Due to it being obd2, having egr and a heated o2 sensor in the back and having the igniter seperate from the distributor, so scratch the harness FOR NOW because there is another 93 manual ANOTHER 40 minutes away fml in a different junkyard thats manual, im going to call tomorrow to see if it recently just got there because it doesnt show the date unlike other sites And i dont want to go for nothing Considering its just one car instead of two

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
The auto trans has the coolant tank on a fixed slot on the trans while the manual DOES NOt and its bolted UNDER the battery tray.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have a 4-speed auto and the coolant reservoir is next to the battery. It should be the same bracket and reservoir for every combination of engine/trans.

·
Registered
Rolla DX
301 Posts
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have a 4-speed auto and the coolant reservoir is next to the battery. It should be the same bracket and reservoir for every combination of engine/trans.
I believe a few models have that long coolant reservoir that appeared in some jdm models. Most AE111 engine bays have this tucked in bottle

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
I believe a few models have that long coolant reservoir that appeared in some jdm models. Most AE111 engine bays have this tucked in bottle View attachment 339625
But I thought Manny323 was looking in a North American junkyard, so I don't know which model this type of reservoir was on. I believe all the 4/7A-FE engines with all three types of transmissions (5-speed manual, 3-speed and 4-speed auto) from 1993 to 1997 have the coolant reservoir next to the battery.

And how would it hurt to keep the current reservoir where it is now?

·
Registered
Rolla DX
301 Posts
But I thought Manny323 was looking in a North American junkyard, so I don't know which model this type of reservoir was on. I believe all the 4/7A-FE engines with all three types of transmissions (5-speed manual, 3-speed and 4-speed auto) from 1993 to 1997 have the coolant reservoir next to the battery.

And how would it hurt to keep the current reservoir where it is now?
I believe that some early usdm Corollas had that setup but yeah I agree the style we normally see vs that one isn’t relevant to transmission I really appreciate how easy it is to see the coolant level at a glance no point in hiding it down there

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I am in american junkyards but the thing was it was a w a g o n, all wagons were made in japan. So ill have to look soon because yeah the japanese one was bolted below the battery but ill double check where the slotted one is

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,615 Posts
I see. I was looking at the parts diagrams and it seems all the sedans had the reservoir by the battery. I see the wagons have a different shaped reservoir, at least for 1993 wagons, but that's just on the diagram.

I'm not sure which year car you were looking at. There are many options to choose from at japan-parts.eu to get the diagrams.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I see. I was looking at the parts diagrams and it seems all the sedans had the reservoir by the battery. I see the wagons have a different shaped reservoir, at least for 1993 wagons, but that's just on the diagram.

I'm not sure which year car you were looking at. There are many options to choose from at japan-parts.eu to get the diagrams.
Oh ok, so then i the one thats on my auto on the 94 will work too? I assume for now

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Update: new cars have been coming in but theyre all autos And too new (96 or 97) and the one other one that was another hour away from me has no cruise control so it wouldnt work either. One thing a coworker asked me though is couldnt i use a geo prizim body harness from the same year to connect with? Os is it different cause it gm?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Update: smh there has been a drought of 93-97 corollas with an even larger drought within of 93-94 corollas specifically. Plus all the ones that show up are auto 3/4 speeds

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Update: no suitable cars have shown up still. I have made a brutal discovery too as to 93 corollas having no passenger airbag and 95 and up came with an updated plenum for egr, new ignition system (igniter outside of distributor) and a crank position sensor. So in reality im looking for a 94 corolla manual with cruise control and 1.8l engine, wish me luck i have no idea when itll show up IF itll even show up. Ive seen base model 94 manuals show up eith bare minimum additions and no cruise control for sale on fb but thats it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Update: i have caught allergies, bronchitis and sinusitis all in one punch, nothing new has shown up in the junkyard as usual, and it just dawned on me. Would someone on here be willing to rip out a dash harness UNCUT and an engine harness UNCUT from a 94 corolla and get the ecu from a manual 1.8L 94 DX And be willing to ship to me? I dont care about the dash and associated parts what i want is the harness itself uncut on the engine and in the cabin so if anyone wants to do this lmk asap

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Update: WHOOPS havent updated in a long time, im not dead, ever since the last post there has been no suitable donors in any junkyards so far or on fb market or craiglist. one other thing i am moving to a new dealer so thisll be a while, expect another update in a long while while i move and if anything at all shows up which prolly wont for a long time ffs

61 - 80 of 84 Posts