1989 4DOOR COROLLA
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i make my old tired 4ac get up and go and look good for little money

·
Wonderbread
Toyota Tercel, AE86
1,721 Posts
you can polish the valve cover, sand it with really fine sand paper and get some polishing compound, the 4ac doesnt really ahve anything for get up and go, except maybe some better carbs, 4ac's are slow as hell

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
bam, slap of harsh reality

·
amateur mechanic
1987 sr5 coupe
5 Posts
You can do the things you can do to most anything: bigger carbs, camshaft/springs, freer flowing exhaust, maybe port/polish, higher compression, run race fuel, maybe advance the timing a little. I have done a lot of research on them. It's not worth putting money into the 4ac unless you're dead set on keeping that motor in it. If you wanted to, you could swap a 4ag head onto it and go dohc. But that is nearing the price of a complete 4ag motor.

·
Wonderbread
Toyota Tercel, AE86
1,721 Posts
You can do the things you can do to most anything: bigger carbs, camshaft/springs, freer flowing exhaust, maybe port/polish, higher compression, run race fuel, maybe advance the timing a little. I have done a lot of research on them. It's not worth putting money into the 4ac unless you're dead set on keeping that motor in it. If you wanted to, you could swap a 4ag head onto it and go dohc. But that is nearing the price of a complete 4ag motor.
which would still be cheaper than to do all that crap to a 4ac, and for what gains? hardly anything probubly maybe 20-30hp if that, camshaft alone is about 4bills, with bigger carbs, port and polish and all that bottom end work to put in higher comp pistons you coulda already swapped in a running 4ag.

easiest way to do a 4age in a 4ac car, is to get the engine and desired trans and put carbs on the 4ag, no wiring = no mess

Edit: there is a thread on club4ag.com on how to carb a 4age, look it up

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have the money for this then go to this site: http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ and look on the page for Toyota and then click that and on the following page will be a list of different car parts categories for your Toy! Scroll down to Engine Kits and click High Performance Engine Kits and you will see that they have means of a Hi-Perf Engine Rebuild Kit for the 4AC and you can get Pauter Rods and ROSS Pistons for it and Schneider Racing Cams has a Performance Racing Cam for the 1AC/2AC/3AC/ and 4AC engines and you can get a can of engine degreaser and follow the instructions on it and clean your tired 4AC and make it look pretty good! ;) If you need further help, let me know, lol! ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ive read its 70 and 90, but what make me think its 90 myself is, I have a 87 AE82 and i raced my friend in his 86 tercel with a 3a which i read is 60 horse but anyway I smoked him hard, I know i might have been able to beat him if it was 70 horse but the tercel is also 200 pounds lighter and i have a 100 pounds of speakers and amps in the back of my little rolla so i dont think i would have beat him that hard if my 4ac is 70 horse. Thats why i dont think is all that weak but it might be. I think it could be built to compete with the f engines which arnt very strong either but i dont hear is much crap talked about them.

·
Wonderbread
Toyota Tercel, AE86
1,721 Posts
I think it could be built to compete with the f engines which arnt very strong either but i dont hear is much crap talked about them.
the only difference is that 4afe is fuel injected with gives you a whole other tuning perspective, also its 16valve, when peope ask what it would take to swap a 4afe i tell not to bother and get a 4age, im not a huge fan of the 4afe myself when the 4age is a way better engine

·
Registered
'86 Corolla liftback
22 Posts
If engine swap is too much bother for you then try this----disconnect the EGR (the rise, if any, in NOx is unnoticable in emissions test), retard the timing to 3.5 BTDC for better low-end torque, use 15W-40 or 20W-50 oil to reduce blowby from ring wear.
:Bruce:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can swap out your carb for a Weber. Which would give you better more power/ torque/ and throttle response. With the Weber 32/36 your fuel economy would improve as well. However if your aiming for all out power, then I would go with the Weber 38 DGES which is what I have in my AE82, the power you get from a Weber is amazing. My friend has a stock AE82 sedan, and once he sat in my car, he was impressed at the power/torque improvement. Throttle response has increase significantly as well. My 4AC is basically on steroids, compared to my friend's 4AC.
You can also swap in motorcycle carbs, just like this setup Which would also improve the power and response of the 4AC.
In addition upgrades to the ignition system would also give you some horsepower.
I'm currently running a Tercel Dizzy w/ Magnecor Wires, NGK Iridiums, and Blaster 2 Coil w/ the ignition timing advanced, the engine is now a lot more responsive.
A higher duration camshaft will add significant power as well. Just my 2cents. :chug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do not do anything to the 4AC. It is not worth the time or effort. I can find my dyno sheet if you do not believe me. I purchased my first SR5 ae86 a few years ago, it felt so slow I entered into a Dyno event to achieve the lowest hp award, a 81 1.3L civic almost had me with his air conditioning on, but I turned mine own and killed him with my 38WHP.

My 4AC was NOT stock.

K&N drop in filter with modified housing (to allow plenty of breathing)
NGK wires/plugs
2'' cat back with a magnaflow muffler

I've driven a 4AC ae86 shnieder cam, double valve springs, ported head, 32/36webber, custom header, and it STILL was not as fast as the weakest 4age I've driven.

With A/C off I managed a 49WHP Run, this 4AC has 113,000 miles on it (at the time) and was dealer maintained all of its life, never abused until I received it.

·
Wonderbread
Toyota Tercel, AE86
1,721 Posts
finally someone who actually did something to their 4ac to attest to the fact that its a waste of time

·
Registered
14 Posts
finally someone who actually did something to their 4ac to attest to the fact that its a waste of time
Don't get me wrong, I still love the 4AC, it was the first engine I took apart and put back together all by myself when I was 16 but its only useful as a economy car engine, which is what Toyota designed it to be. The beautiful thing about the 4AC is the reliability with the low power output and simplicity of the engine itself.

Eventually I will build a EFI 4ac that is turbo charged but that is years away, 4A-GE is the way to go at this time for me, and if I had the money I would likely look for a SR20DET.

And for you picky 4AC folk like I was about 7 years ago, trust me its still a challenge with a 4A-GE, they are not power monsters like you think, look at drift championships, drag strips and tell me how many 4A-GE's you see out there?

·
Wonderbread
Toyota Tercel, AE86
1,721 Posts
im wasnt saying theyre a bad engine, just saying that modding them to make em faster isnt worth the time and effort

1 - 20 of 27 Posts