Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
was wondering is it possible to fit a short shift kit to an AE92 4AF and if they can be purchased in new zealand like oem or something like that.
cheers

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
well being in canada I got it at a Canadian Toyota dealer. I can't remember if it was $215 or $230.
I like it, it's longer than the stock shifter because the knob is larger. Problem is unless you have monkey like arms like myself it could pop up an issue as they are bent towards the passenger because the TRD short throw shifters for the ae92 were made for the Japanese cars. Even the instructions were in Japanese lol.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
I have a TRD one, I like it. I got mine new from ebay for about $200

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I made one for my Tercel by cutting 2" out of a stock shifter, and having it welded together at the angle I wanted. Worked fine.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
The difference with making a short shifter and buying a short throw shifter. Is that the short throw shifter, at least the TRD one, doesn't physically shorten the shifter. I wouldn't want my shifter to be super short, I like being able to reach it comfortably.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
On my old Accord, I did a DIY short shifter by making a new bracket to make the cable mounting point higher. I'll have to take a look at how the AE92 shift cables are set up but it might be a cheaper alternative.

And like freakinbox said, short shifters are supposed to reduce the throw of the shifter, not the height. Oftentimes people will shorten the shifter too but that doesn't change the amount of throw (it just lowers the throw point so more effort is needed to move the linkage the same distance).

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
I got the TRD short shifter off ebay for $150 last year. It's not that much difference than the regular shifter. It feels slightly stiffer, like Ghosty said.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
it's substantially different than the sr5 shifter, maybe the gts has a shorter throw but the stock sr5 one was like a truck shifter! The other problem with the TRD one being bend towards the passenger causes you to have to relearn the position of the gears, don't do what I used to do and shove it into 2nd instead of 4th lol. Once you get used to it the shifter seems normal.

By the way a short shifter is exactly that, it's a shorter shifter. It does reduce the throw since your hand is closer to the ball of the shifter. A short throw shifter on the other hand is usually close to stock size, or in the trd's case is taller.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
yeah they can be quite expensive considering what it is. But for the comfort side of it I think it was worth it. It sped my shift times up a fair bit as well since it is a lot easier to throw it into gear. But for the street the speed side of it is pointless.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
I mean with the TRD shifter, now I know for sure I'm in gear. The factory shifter was a bit softer so you don't feel it when it 'snaps' into gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts