Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I posted about this issue before and I'm pretty sure there's solenoid issues. Someone was nice enough to give me a link to a good replacement guide, but I'm a little worried about something else. Maybe that it's a mis diagnosis.

My issues are two things to do with the starting mechanism:

- The starter will randomly act up when you turn the key. I have been told 'clicking noises' are sign of bad solenoids on it that need replacing - however, I wouldn't call the noise mine makes clicking. It's more like the sound of a low RPM air tool...kinda like 'VRRRHHH!' and then spins down after you take the key off. I let it sit for a couple minutes and it randomly works after a few more tries. Sometimes right away :ugh3:

- The car also sometimes will not turn over at all. Oddly enough, I had just messed with the dash panel under my steering column and so I took it off and it started right away no fuss. I looked for bad connections or broken grounds...nothing that I could see. So I put the panel back on and it wouldn't turn over. I took it off again and it started...I'm so confused!

Could both of these problems be because of bad solenoid contacts? The first one seems plausible but the second I'm not sure about. Maybe it was just superstition about the dash panel but I did it a couple times. I'm thinking maybe the clutch pedal sensor is acting up under there. Does anyone know where that is located? I see a spring thing on the pedal arm and the clutch cylinder connection but that's about it :(

Forgot to add...when it doesn't turn over at all there is still power to everything else, and the lights dim as if there is power being routed through the ignition like it normally does when it starts. I'm totally clueless!

Should I just buy a new starter? I need my car for work and so far it's been okay but I'm sure it won't last too much longer!

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Next time it doesn't start but the lights come on, try the following:

- open the hood

- put one end of a metal bar against the end of the starter and hit the bar with a hammer (a sharp rap, nothing too hard.)

- try to restart the car.

Post the results.

I drove my MR2 around for a month or so with a hammer and bar in the trunk until I actually changed the starter.

Also, you're in luck that you have a manual. If you're careful where you park, you can push-start the car even if the hammer & bar trick doesn't work.

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next time it doesn't start but the lights come on, try the following:

- open the hood

- put one end of a metal bar against the end of the starter and hit the bar with a hammer (a sharp rap, nothing too hard.)

- try to restart the car.

Post the results.

I drove my MR2 around for a month or so with a hammer and bar in the trunk until I actually changed the starter.

Also, you're in luck that you have a manual. If you're careful where you park, you can push-start the car even if the hammer & bar trick doesn't work.
Lol! Seriously?! I'll have to try that.

So it's definitely a good idea to replace the whole starter? I have a feeling I'll have to order the solenoid parts...parts stock around these parts suck, so it might be beneficial to just install a whole new starter.

As for the bump starting...I work at a pizza joint delivering, so I'm kinda boned if I don't fix this soon...

This is a really dumb question but what's the easiest way to get at the starter? My manual says to remove air cleaner...but it doesn't really note where it is...Left or right side? I see the belts/alt and timing stuff on the left, but no starter. Damn, I need to get some jackstands.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Yeah, it seriously works a lot of the time. I had to do it once every two days or so for a month.

The starter will be on the same side as the transmission (because... the starter turns the flywheel to start the car and the flywheel is between the engine and transmission). I'll try to get you a picture in a couple hours.

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it seriously works a lot of the time. I had to do it once every two days or so for a month.

The starter will be on the same side as the transmission (because... the starter turns the flywheel to start the car and the flywheel is between the engine and transmission). I'll try to get you a picture in a couple hours.
Awesome, thanks! :)

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm finally getting a new starter tomorrow...lets hope it fixes my problems.

I took the air cleaner off like my very crappy repair manual says to find the starter, but had no luck. I'm sure it will be clearer once I get the thing up on stands though. This is what my manual says:

- Disconnect -ve battery terminal
- Remove the air cleaner assembly with hose
- Disconnect electrical lines to the starter
- Remove the starter mounting bolts
- Remove the starter

Kind of vague...it also offers no main engine diagram that I can find to pinpoint the starters position...or pictures for that matter. (it's an online library resource manual...dunno if it's Chiltons or Haines.)

·
Registered
Toyota Sprinter
3 Posts
Well I'm finally getting a new starter tomorrow...lets hope it fixes my problems.

I took the air cleaner off like my very crappy repair manual says to find the starter, but had no luck. I'm sure it will be clearer once I get the thing up on stands though. This is what my manual says:

- Disconnect -ve battery terminal
- Remove the air cleaner assembly with hose
- Disconnect electrical lines to the starter
- Remove the starter mounting bolts
- Remove the starter

Kind of vague...it also offers no main engine diagram that I can find to pinpoint the starters position...or pictures for that matter. (it's an online library resource manual...dunno if it's Chiltons or Haines.)
I have the same problem with my Toyota Sprinter 1988 5a-f. When I turn the key into start position, starter doesn't work, nothing happens, there's no click or anything. In my car Starter is located right under intake manifold and mounted with two screws to transmission, here's the photo of approximate location. Hope you'll find it)

http://www.nii.kemguki.ru/sources/PSD/starter.jpg

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem with my Toyota Sprinter 1988 5a-f. When I turn the key into start position, starter doesn't work, nothing happens, there's no click or anything. In my car Starter is located right under intake manifold and mounted with two screws to transmission, here's the photo of approximate location. Hope you'll find it)

http://www.nii.kemguki.ru/sources/PSD/starter.jpg
Thanks for the pictures! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts