Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4AFE 4AFE 4AFE 4AGE 4AGE
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT PARTS WILL I NEED TO DO A HEAD SWAP? (head gasket ect.?) IM PLANNING TO PUT SWAP MY 4AFE HEAD FOR A 4AGE HEAD ON MY 1990 TOYOTA COROLL SEDAN.
IT WILL FIT RIGHT?:hammer: ANY INFO WILL GREATLY HELP ME OUT THANK YOU.:D THANK YOU THANK YOU

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
I thought he swap the whole engine, not just the head. I believe I've read (maybe on Club4AG) that 4a-FE block doesn't match 4A-GE head 100%.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
it will match. but it isn't worth the money or the time, especially since you can get an entire motor for less than $500US from a japanese importer (even cheaper from a junkyard).

I swapped the entire motor over.

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx :thumbup: my car ate up almost all my doe$$,i recently change my tranny cuz it wasa fu*k up,so then i was thinkin :confused: if i already had the tranny i might as well just take out the head and block to the shop for a little "head job":rolleyes: and get new rings and stuff for my block.:hammer: MAN!what a bad idea................now im running on only three cylinder:lol: fourth cylinder no compression and thats why i want to just swap my head for a 4age head.ive heard that it fit right on my 4afe block...any idea on wat the hell is the problem ?????????:eek:

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no can do dunno which shop did my dad take it to and they just did the machine work and my dad was the one to put it together.......:disappoin

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
my $400 US motor: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/219038/8

c'mon man... i'm cheap, but not THAT cheap.... you're thinking i did just the head because i DID however keep the 4a-fe ecu (which we modded.... so it does see 7800 rpm's ;) )

and details on the entire swap:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/219038/9

the WHOLE thing cost me around $1600.... which included the following:

new rad
new exhaust (including high flow cat, 2.25" piping, new muffler)
new KBD header
MSD 6al/blaster 2/8910 eis tach adapter (ignition)
New serpentine belt
New timing belt
New plugs, wires, cap & rotor
a couple new sensors
4a-ge flywheel
Rad hoses
4age FWD thermostat housing
new thermostat
new oil filter

and I've got to say... i've spent a LOT of money on this car (probably $6,000US+) and that $1600 is the best money i've spent (right behind it is the suspension)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
^^^ few things i forgot

SARD adjustable FPR & b&m fuel pressure gauge
GT-S gauges (all of them)
throttle cable
oil cooler

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
They wont fit as far as i know... Dif compression ratios. 4A-FE runs at 9.5:1 - 4A-GE runs at 10.5:1

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
the blocks are essentially the same.... all of the internals, however, are not the same. And i doubt that any of the 4a-fe blocks had oil sqiurters like the later years 4age's do.....

and the 4age does not run at 10.5:1.....

bigport is somewhere around 9.5:1 or 9.8:1... not 100% sure
smallport is 10.3:1
silvertop 20V is 10.5:1
blacktop 20V is 11.0:1

4agze (early) is 8.5:1
4agze (late) is 8.9:1

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
toyotaspeed90 said:
the blocks are essentially the same.... all of the internals, however, are not the same. And i doubt that any of the 4a-fe blocks had oil sqiurters like the later years 4age's do.....
Indeed.

A guy on the Cressida forums performed this swap on an AWD AE92 (AE95??). Yes, his compression went up. I think.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
4Aaron GE said:
Hey, how did you manage to mess around with the 4A-FE ecu?
:D

actually, i didn't get to see that part.... when racer25 (shawn) came over to where we were doing the work, I had to head off to the junkyard to find a long ass throttle cable.... when i left, shawn started to pull it from the car... when i got back, he was walking out of the house with it finished..

i know the basics of it, though.... basically changing the crystals inside to slow down/speed up the clock speed.....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's not that it doesn't fit, it's just that after all is said and done, you've spent more money for an end result that's not as good. 4A-GEs are cheap.

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it really dont matter right now .....in a kind of a low buget$$:p: and wats the deal with this 4agze?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts