Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hye people, I'm a newbie 'round here, but I own a Carina-E with the 4AFE engine, its a little bit more powerful since its japanese, but its all the same though.

I wanted to see what mod tips and secrets you guys might have, I have some of my own in case anyone is interested, but I'd love it if I could get feedback.

Later everyone

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just took a dremel to the intake ports in a few select places, added a second outlet to the factory muffler, and cranked up the ignition timing for 92 octane gas.
The vanes where the ports divide up for the individual valve ports can use a little sharpening to help with the cross section-area, and also the valve guide bosses/guides are a restriction too if you can get in that far. I did this with the head installed on the car using small bits of oil soaked rags packed back, down around the valves/seats to keep the shavings from getting in where thay can't be removed.
And a good place to start w/a 4afe is to make sure the exhaust manifold isn't cracked; most are, and it makes for some lousy performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good!
I've got the cold air intake system, 9mm silicone cables, I'm starting to work on the intake "throat" (trying to get that throttle body and intake manifold wider), as we speak my custom made headers and muffler are being made, I also have to find some good insulation so I can wrap the headers in it, the hotter exhaust gases are kept, the faster they flow, the easier the go out and less backpressure they produce, also I'm gonna throw the air filter down an closer to the front so I can suck "fresher" air.

·
Registered
92 Corolla Sedan
145 Posts
well wraping the headder will keep under hood temps down it wont really increse performance it would be marginal at best but the header on the other hand is a good starter mod and combined with a full exhaust you can expect maybe 6 or 7 hp extra, not too much you can do with a 4afe to make it truely powerful other than swap the head for the ge altho i know flashman will argue for the 4afe it would take alot of work to get it to be good enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts