Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 corolla with 4afe and 5 speed. the trans is going out and i found a 95 corolla 1.8l for dirt cheap that is a pile of shit and motor bottom end is knocking. im going to take the 5 speed from it and slap it in mine but while i have the car is there anything i could use for a little extra oomph?

are the cam grinds the same? are the heads the same flow and cc? or better?
does the 7afe have a higher rev limiter? will the ecu work on a 4afe car?

this is my first corolla i know on saturns what we always did was use the dohc ecu for higher limiter, and can use an exhaust cam on intake side for more lift and duration. is there anything like this on corollas i could do?

i do not want to do a motor swap, ive had my corolla for a long time and have good faith in the motor as ive been the one beating on it and maintaining it for most of its life and i trust it. i just want a little more power for merging on the highway and passing, and i thought this might be my opportunity to do it for dirt cheap.

thanks in advance for any and all help fellows, may the rolla gods be with you.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Unfortunately there's no easy bolt-on mods to bump up power on 4A-FE. Not with any significant increases more than 1-2% anyway. As with any highly-tuned & tweaked factory engine, power-mods start from the inside with crank work, custom pistons and rods. That's the best HP-for-$$$-spent bang-for-buck value. Easiest power-increase is with a factory engine-swap. Pick one that has the power/TQ target you want and swap it in.

+20% = 7A-FE
+40% = 4E-FTE/1ZZ-FE
+100-140% = 3S-GTE

The heads & cams are the same for both the 7A-FE and 2nd-gen 4A-FE, so no gains there. Main difference and where the extra torque comes from is the stroker bottom-end. Easy enough to pull the 7A pan and look at the rod-bearings. If the crank-journals aren't scored, you can just replace the rod-bearings and it should be good to go. Swap the entire 7A-FE + harness + ECU over to your car along with the trans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how hard is the wiring harness swap? this is my daily and dont have the time for extensive swaps or rewiring really, unless its something i can quickly clip and unclip.

i would be more than happy with the horsepower the 7afe puts out with my current 'mods'

what did the 4efte's come in and how hard of a swap is that? or the 1zzfe

depending on how hard the wiring is i may just swap to the 7afe depending how it looks when i inspect it

is there really anything i can do for these motors to make them peppier, rev higher etc?

the first to second is what really kills the feel of the car, mine limits at 6k and as soon as i shift into second its at about 3700 and out of the power band. i was hoping an older 4afe trans would work because they had a longer first gear and a shorter distance to second.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Revving engine higher may not help much because the torque drops off after 5500rpms anyway. You might be faster after the shift, but will be slower before, so it's a wash.

One of the main benefits of stroker engines is their torque. The 7A has its peak torque at some low RPM, 3500 or something. With a wide flat torque curve from 2500-5000 RPMs, so it doesn't matter where you shift, next gear will be in the powerband.

Should take 30-90 minutes to swap harness. Much, much easier with engine+trans out first.

There's compatibility question on the 7a, is it an early '95 OBD-1 or late '95.5 OBD-II car? If it's OBD-1, you definitely have to swap harnesses. If both are late OBD-II, then you can keep 4a harness in car. Just have to run one extra wire to the ECU connector for the knock-sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts