Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Living on a Rock
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*****IN PROGRESS**************

I will be building a wiring harness for my new motor that just arrived. I am planning to document every step so it will help those who are deciding to travel this road. I will be including diagrams of the pinouts with color coding as well. Once the first harness is complete Ii will look into seeing how it will be to build one from scratch using junkyard sourced plugs and an AE102 harness(also will be including cars to get the plugs from, as well as parts)

Please do not post comments till the write up is completed in order to keep the flow of the documentation. I will change the text at the top once I am finished to completed.

i will also posts links to the places i got documentation from.

The initial premise is to combine a AE111 4AGE Engine harness with an AE102 7AFE harness. Theoretically it should be a bolt in, but there are minor differences i will be addressing to make it easier for those to follow. we will be first unbinding complete the 4AGE harness as well as the 7AFE harness, separate the body wiring from the engine wiring of both, and combine the 4AGE engine wiring with the 7AFE body wiring.

·
Living on a Rock
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i did some preliminary searching yesterday in the junkyard for plugs that will work. i found the 97-02 camry with 5sfe coil pack plugs will work for the distributor(i also found a distributor from a 94 celica so that will work as well). i also know the 89-94 4 runner V6 coil and ignitor will work. i also got the capacitor that goes by the coil and distributor from a 92 camry V6. the ignitor plug is missing one cut for the keying on the ignitor so it won't work, but the coil plug will. i did get my new motor off the back of my truck and onto a dolly so i can move it around. i will take the harness off the motor and compare plugs for your information. also will see what plugs will already plug into the motor and what plugs won't. those will be the ones we need to concentrate.

i will post a list of cars that have plugs that can be used(from what i find) but please refrain from posting till i get everything completed. if you have some insight to add to the list we can do that once the post is complete.

here's some pics of the harnesses. the one with the blue tape is the 4age 20V Black top harness. the other harness is a 7AFE manual harness. showing some of the plug similarities.

this is a shot of the ECU. the plug remaining is already in your AE101/102 if you have a 7AFE auto or manual. so we won't worry about this one. it straight plugs in and works.

harness on the bottom is 7AFE harness on the top is 4AGE BT

ECU and body plugs essentially the same. ECU plug will get repinned, body harness won't be touched as it's what's factory on your 7AFE.

injector comparison they look bigger but they still clip on. so it should work.

TPS? i'll have to double check

MAP? again i'll have to double check

IACV and temp sending unit on the end of the head(BT) same on 7AFE(most, not all. on my old 20V it had a different plug)

·
Registered
18 Posts
MAP and TPS are 100% the same. Also the water temp sender, IAT, speed sensor, etc. Have to look what again is all the same. Should have it on paper somewhere.

I did use the injectors plugs from the new harness, thought they were just a bit different and i liked to keep the OEM body for the injectors plug harness.

I also swapped the oil pressure sender from my 7AFE to the 4AGE BT, it's a bolt in so you can use the connector from the old harness.

I'm going to look for a ignition coil. In Holland not much cars had the same ignition coil :(
The resistance of the primary coil is too high for my BT.

·
Registered
676 Posts
MAP and TPS are 100% the same. Also the water temp sender, IAT, speed sensor, etc. Have to look what again is all the same. Should have it on paper somewhere.

I did use the injectors plugs from the new harness, thought they were just a bit different and i liked to keep the OEM body for the injectors plug harness.

I also swapped the oil pressure sender from my 7AFE to the 4AGE BT, it's a bolt in so you can use the connector from the old harness.

I'm going to look for a ignition coil. In Holland not much cars had the same ignition coil :(
The resistance of the primary coil is too high for my BT.
I hope you already solve your issue buddy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to correct myself while the tps connector is exactly the same and you can use the one of your 7afe harness but they have to be repinned! The pins are located in the opposite way of the 7afe.

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
did this get finished? any wiring info is welcome!

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Well since I'm in the middle of this and my blacktop harness is chopped up I'll try to post what I can.

Just looking at diagrams 7afe injectors are batch and 4age are sequential so the Ecuadorian has 4 pins not 2.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Well since I'm in the middle of this and my blacktop harness is chopped up I'll try to post what I can.

Just looking at diagrams 7afe injectors are batch and 4age are sequential so the Ecuadorian has 4 pins not 2.
While there may be four wires to the injectors, two pairs are tied together controlled by just two terminals on the ECU. Then if you took at circuit-board of 4AGE ECU, you'll find that those two terminals have their traces connected together to a single driver-transistor. 4AGE is batch-fire also.

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
I know all early 4age's are batch fire but are you positive the blacktop ecu isn't sequential?

On another note blacktop ecu appears to control cooling fan im assuming by grounding CF pin to cooling fan relay then detects accessory loads via els1 pin

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
I'll have to dig up an ECU diagram. From the other blacktop swaps I've seen, it's wired as above diagram. Or else you'll have to add extra wires to the 4a/7a harness. Unless you get the Blacktop harness and ECU with the engine. Which is really the only way this swap should be done anyway

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
I don't know what happened to this thread or OP... I'd hate to make a new thread when this had already begun. I got a blacktop swap with ecu and chopped harness... yay... so that's why i'm trying to merge the two since they are so darn similar. just very limited info available...

I finally got around to swapping the head with a fresh one with tomei poncams as they work with stock ecu fine. also installed ARP head studs and flywheel bolts, upgraded flywheel to MRP lightened and a better Exedy clutch. i have new blacktop mounts from Toyota NZ among other stuff so it should get installed later in the week ideally. the wiring is something i put on the back burner though and now its time to finish... or just megasquirt it if I get mad enough...

Reactions: Pete Suhman

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Harness is most often overlooked part of swap. It becomes the biggest bottleneck in the end with the most time and money spent in getting things to work. Merging the two harnesses may work, but you've still got 30-yr old crispy wiring and failing connectors to deal with. Dr. Tweak makes brand new harnesses for swaps: http://www.tweakdperformance.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Personally I wouldn't even bother. Rip it all out and go straight to Megasquirt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts