Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how the heck do I adjust the idle speed on a 4AGE?? (I know I know.. I sound like a noob :rolleyes: )

My car idles very rough right now.. it stays over 1200 rpm's and now, after getting the TB cleaned, the rpms also jump up and down.. I think the TPS sensor is still wet and that's why the rpms jump. But besides that, the idle won't go down to under 1000. any suggestions would be appreciatted. :thumbup: :)

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way.. I passed my emissions today, damn that Ichi sold me a POS cat that didn't purr.. so I had to spend on a new one after failing misserably. :mad: Now my emissions are way below the failing numbers though. :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
the idle screw is on the TB.... if it's not covered it's easy to see (it's inset a bit).... otherwise it has a black cover of it (at the top of the tb)

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah shit.. ok.. I saw that today and I thought it was just a regular screw. :hammer: :disappoin :lol:

If this doesn't work.. does anyone have a TPS sensor I can buy for cheap.. I think mine might be toast. :(

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
^sorry ren, when that cat was on my car it passed....oh and i jus got your msg.

on our car, theres 2 idler screw..... one on the throttle body, and theres another one above the Brake booster... which controls the vacuum line....<--- not too sure how this works.....its some toyota secret....

i highly doubt its your TPS....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check your coolant level, common for surging idle if the coolants low and cant get to the tb to warm it, also i would start from scratch, set your tps first, then your timing, then your base idle, all when warm. the vacum idle that was mentioned i believe is the a/c idle up, should only be a factor whne the a/c is turned on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The surging is from it hitting fuel cut, 1100 is to high for a warmed up engine, should be around 750. You need to readjust things and check coolant level. Make sure t-body is clean.

·
In Ur MOM's Pants
2,882 Posts
trust me my engine was so clean U could eat off the internals and any part of my motor ...everything is always in top notch shape

these motors jus like to idle really high especially after the 180,000km mark

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
minesh, the hossy is right...the idle when the motor is warm should be at 750.

1000 is too high, that's abnormal :D my motor was around 750...and heck, itchi's is under 1000 too!

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
The 4A-FE (SR5) idle at 750. The 4A-GE (GTS) idle at 1100. There should be a sitcker on the hood of firewall telling you timing and idle speed.
Remove EFI fuse to reset computer should remove the surging.

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
taken from ae92gts.com
"check the idle speed. Nominally, it should be around 800 rpm"
-Carl

the guru has spoken! therefore idle speed should be under 1k for sure...carl writes the ae92 bible! lol

·
Noob again!
651 Posts
Prettty interesting discussion, I installed my dizzy just a week ago and before I had it timed, it was idling around 1100-1200 rpm, I retarded/advanced the dizzy a bit, ran the car to see how it performs and now that the timing is somewhat correct (I think so anyway judging by the way the motor ran), it's idling around 780 rpm.

I should really use a timing gun. Haha BoroEF, mind if we meet up? Just wanna make sure I didn't retard or advance it too much. :p I think it's suppose to be at 10 deg. BTDC

-Kev

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
well.... carls "bible" doesn't speak of running a 4a-ge off a 4a-fe w/o a TPS

also...from what i've been noticing... most guys talking about higher idle speeds are for the smallports....

and trust me, it wasn't a fuel cut..... because it's a 4a-fe ecu.... the 4a-fe would idle around 500rpm's......

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's fixed!! I fooled around with the idle screw that's covered with a black rubber top. Now I'm idling at around 900-1100 rather than 1600 rpm with up and down surges. :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey toyotaspeed90, where did you find fuel cut specs? Have never seen any specs on fuel cut in any of the factory repair manuals. Thanks!

·
Shit Disturber
249 Posts
I always wondered why my idle was so high, only on hot days it'l go to like 900, i guess cos my thermostat is fucko, car runs cool all the time, even at the track with an electric fan thats user activated (didn't turn it on once!)

Id rather keep it cool than have it over heating... Old AE86 thermostat's are gold!

·
Registered
861 Posts
you're not supposed to play with that "other" screw.. but typically our cars are old and have been through many owners, so who knows how things are set..

and yeah, the factory service manual says idle is supposed to be at 800 rpm.. mine is at about 1000rpm, i'm happy with it.

·
Noob again!
651 Posts
hopeful said:
I always wondered why my idle was so high, only on hot days it'l go to like 900, i guess cos my thermostat is fucko, car runs cool all the time, even at the track with an electric fan thats user activated (didn't turn it on once!)

Id rather keep it cool than have it over heating... Old AE86 thermostat's are gold!
Dood, change the thermostat!! My winter cars thermostat was suck on open and it ran COOL for most of the winter. I was hoping to wait until spring to change it, but ya know what happened? the thermostat fooked around with me and it was later stuck on CLOSED. Hahahaha I must've been driving 40 mins on the highway without coolant !:hammer:

Change that sheit.. speaking from experience here bro :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts