Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4agze and i want to covert it to turbo.. what do i have to change?? they said i have to change the head.. any ideas?? tnx

·
TN TE/AE/SW Afficionado
1986 4-Runner
99 Posts
If you use the search function, you'll find a lot of information available to you. There's also another thread in this section that's discussing the topic that you're researching.

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
^^ he is right ^^ you shouldnt have to change heads if you dont want to, unbolt all the s/c stuff & buy yourself a nice turbo manifold along with a turbo of your choice... you will also need to buy oil/water lines for the turbo & route them accordingly. also you will have to get a downpipe fabbed up.. intercooler pipes are going to have to be re routed... i can keep going but, im not gunna do all the homework for you, again like Chucez said your not the first person to do this, there is alot of information available for you to read, IF YOU MAKE THE TIME.. Also when you post a question, please go into detail... "WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE CAR" you will see that quote all over the place!! Why turbo over the s/c ? This can be helpful to us, in helping you pick out a setup specific to your needs & wants.. one of the best things i did was pick up a book called Maximum Boost by Corky bell... That book will teach you whatever you need to know about turbocharging & is a great investment for any turbo project..

Hope this helps
~Danno

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill look for that book... do you have any idea what turbo will fit best in my 4agze??

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
you can make anything fit, but my opinion would be to buy a smaller turbo... i personally like the DSM 14b turbo's as they are somewhat small in size yet potent enough to get some good power

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
^ we need to figure out what his plans are before we give him direction on turbo's obviously we both have 2 diff opinions for 2 diff setups...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh.. i have a stock turbo of a rb20det i think its a t28 will that work??? i want my car to dust some civics hehehehe

G

·
spool said:
ahh.. i have a stock turbo of a rb20det i think its a t28 will that work??? i want my car to dust some civics hehehehe
like 89yota said any turbo will work, you have to just get the parts to mount it and connect everything up to it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
you cant put a GT35R turbo on it unless you want ALOT of lag....so saying ANY turbo will work shouldnt ever be said...

G

·
jon_570 said:
you cant put a GT35R turbo on it unless you want ALOT of lag....so saying ANY turbo will work shouldnt ever be said...
but even with a lot of "lag" the turbo itself would still work. So saying ANY turbo will work should be said. If your asking whats best for your certain setup thats a whole diffrent story.:clap:

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
My friend has a Nissan 200SX with a 1.8liter engine, theres a holset HX35 on it. Its a frigging truck turbo, meant for 5-6liter engines normally. Lag isnt that bad, it spools at 4000rpm and it kicks like a mule all the way to 7500rpm where the limiter was. With stock internals it dynoed 498hp. So a big turbo is just fine depending on the application and if you just want massive power.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
to sum up.....

for 1/4 mile (ie go fast in a straight line).... bigger turbo, more HP

for auto-x and road course, go with a smaller turbo.... will have some lower-end torque and won't be 'peaky', will allow the car to stay well balanced (as they say).

a really good (proven) turbo for a 4age is the t25..... tuned right it makes smooth torque and HP curves, and (in that particular setup) produced ~230whp and ~220wtq.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts