Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After starting my enginge after 1year build time i discovered that the engine sucked the silicone bends together. I guess this is like it would be, since the trottle body is straight after the air cleaner. Anybody bumped into same problem?

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
yes, three ply hoses or better!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ones ive got is said 3ply (thats what the store said), but is really soft! I will try using thicker ones :)

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
is it reinforced hose?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silicone was bought for a coupe of months ago.

It's clear that they don't withstand the vacuum. I belive, in the fact that the whole pressure path/circuit is between the intake and the trottle body, that thats the reason why they collapse.
I belive that if the trottle body was just after the inlet manifoil, that the problem will disappear. But that requires a custom inlet manifol.

But what to do? weld all the bends up with aluminium? harder hoses?

Anybody got aftermarked intercoolers on their 4agze?

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
wow. they do look good, but i guess you need new couplers.

·
Old School
'87 MR2/NA & '89 SC
22 Posts
Which exact hose is it, that is collapsing? These hoses were probably designed for high pressure, not vacuum, and that is the real problem. If you are using it before the supercharger then you are going to have to use a hose that was designed for that type of use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which exact hose is it, that is collapsing? These hoses were probably designed for high pressure, not vacuum, and that is the real problem. If you are using it before the supercharger then you are going to have to use a hose that was designed for that type of use.
You're right! My silicone hoses can't withstand the vacuum. So I need reinforced that can take the vacuum. Any ideas where to get? I use 2,25" piping in my system.

I've foud this, but not sure: http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?cat=2967&mat=104

·
Old School
'87 MR2/NA & '89 SC
22 Posts
You're right! My silicone hoses can't withstand the vacuum. So I need reinforced that can take the vacuum. Any ideas where to get? I use 2,25" piping in my system.

I've foud this, but not sure: http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?cat=2967&mat=104
Other than the oem hose, I'm afraid not. I don't think I have ever seen anyone run other than oem type hose before the sc, except of course for very short runs, which were probably too short to collapse like that. I also don't recall ever coming across any after market stuff that is made for it.
However, I'll keep this link for awhile in case I do see any.

·
Old School
'87 MR2/NA & '89 SC
22 Posts
I got mine from CX Racing. Inexpensive and they have held up well both under 17 psi and vacuum.
Yes, but what is the diameter of your biggest hose, with vacuum, and how long is it inbetween clamps?

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
largest diameter= 2.75 in.
smalest diameter =2.5 in.
shortest between T Clamps = 2 in.( Hump hose)
Longest distance between T clamps =8-9 in

The 2 longest going in and out of IC.

Now that I think about it, you should use a hump hose at the throttle body.

·
Old School
'87 MR2/NA & '89 SC
22 Posts
Yeah, you see, your long hoses are both high pressure ones. I was thinking about a hump hose as well, but only experimentation would tell for sure. Ultimately, ridged oems are probably the best solution, and I don't know of any after market companies that make ridged silicone hoses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts