Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wanting to get my transmission rebuilt for my MR2. Does anyone know of any places that specialize in rebuilding Toyota or MR2 manual transmissions on the west coast? I've read of places that specialize in Honda transmissions in magazines but never Toyota. I'm also curious if anyone has ever been able to change the 5th gear ratio for a little lower rpm rate at higher speeds. It's not like the SC can't make enough power.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Also does anyone know about what rebuilding a MT should cost? I've got several tired synchros that have been that way since I bought it.

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
Let me guess, 3rd gear syncros? I bought my MR2 SC with the typical 3rd gear issue. My old 87 NA developed the 5th gear pop out even though the 87+ NA rarely experienced that since Toyota upgraded those transmissions from the c50 to c52.

PS: I've seen pictures of your car on Prime Performance Instagram/Facebook (maybe some other places too).

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me guess, 3rd gear syncros? I bought my MR2 SC with the typical 3rd gear issue. My old 87 NA developed the 5th gear pop out even though the 87+ NA rarely experienced that since Toyota upgraded those transmissions from the c50 to c52.

PS: I've seen pictures of your car on Prime Performance Instagram/Facebook (maybe some other places too).
Actually it is 2nd gear syncros. It was driven hard by the original owner and I noticed it when I bought it. When I drive it normally I don't notice it but it is easy to beat the syncros while driving fast. I've owned it for more then 85k miles now and would like to look at getting it done by someone that knows Toyotas and MR2's. I know there are a lot of places in California so I thought that some people would know good place even if I had to drive south and have it done. I just haven't had many good feelings when speaking to transmission shops in my area.

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
My 3rd gear is the same way. Drive the car normal and it's fine, but driving the car fast it grinds into 3rd. My car has 123k on it, but the previous owner said the guy he bought it from was a big track/autocross guy.

When time comes to rebuild/replace my transmission, I will probably ask the ATS guys in Dallas about shops in Texas for me. California might be your best bet. When I needed to take a cylinder head to a machine shop I used one in Bryan, TX because I didn't have good feelings about the ones in Houston.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've been doing some digging and I've been told that the bearings, synchros, gaskets and seals are the same for the E51 trans in my 89 MR2 and the E153 trans in the 2nd Gen MR2. I've also been told that the gear ratios are the same and that I could change the final drive from a V6 Camry and that would lower the RPM's on the highway. Has anyone else done this or heard of this?

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
I knew the E51 and E153 were related but I didn't know they were that similar. I guess the E153 would experience the same synchro issues the E51 has. This is the first time I heard about using the final drive from the V6 Camry, but that sounds ideal.

Are you active on Facebook or a member of any of the MR2 specific forms? The Facebook groups have their fair share of nonsense, but there are some very knowledgeable people on there. On the forms there are some very intelligent people who seem to know these car's inside and out.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update. I've always used the proper Redline GL5 gear oil in my Supercharged MR2. I've heard of many people using the Redline GL4 rated MT90. I figured that I had nothing to lose so I changed it out to try the MT90. I wasn't expecting to notice much difference but to my surprise, it made a huge difference. Time will tell but I can't believe how smooth the shifts are now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts