Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Toyota Nation. New user here. Been debating whether to buy '01-'04 used or go with '06 X-cab PreRunner. I am leaning heavily towards new. That being said, I initially was considering nothing but the 4cyl for better mileage. However, I want an automatic and Toyota only offers the X-cab PreRunner automatic in the V6. I could opt for the X-cab 4x2 where I could get 4cyl/auto, but I really want to stick w/ X-cab PreRunner. I test drove both. I'm not an engine power freak, but there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two and I preferred the latter. I'm probably going to go w/ the PreRunner V6/auto, but I'm wondering if anyone else debated this as well when purchasing. For those who have bought the X-cab PreRunner V6/Auto, if it had been available in a 4cyl, would you have bought it? Also, anyone who bought a 4cyl wish they would have bought a 6 or vice versa? I have other option package questions but I will leave those for another thread. Thanks much for your replies.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
First off , welcome. :hi:

I too contemplated the I4 and V6. Unfortunately, like you, I test drove the V6. I couldn't go back after that. I knew that I didn't want to spend a ton of money but I also knew that I didn't want to "outgrow" the truck in less than 4 or 5 years.

I opted for the 4x4 V6 and skipped all the fancy stuff.

Make sure YOU have no regrets, especially buying new.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
With an Xtracab, Id go with a V6. If you do ANY towing or hauling at all, you will appreciate the added power of the V6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boone88rr, yeah I test drove the V6 after the I4, and it made the latter seem very sluggish. I sometimes wonder if I'm placing too much emphasis on the fuel economy issue. Dealer said it's not going to be radically different between the two. Like I said, I will probably go w/ the V6. It's probably better that Toyota does not offer the X-cab PreRunner auto in the I4 as I tend to be very indecisive and probably could never make a decision!

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Look at it this way: The 4-cylinder is a smaller engine, but it has to worker hard to do the same amount of work and will use more fuel.
I dont think you will see much, if any, fuel savings with a 4-banger.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
Look at it this way: The 4-cylinder is a smaller engine, but it has to worker hard to do the same amount of work and will use more fuel.
So the I4 uses more fuel than the V6 ROTFLMAO. Read some of the mileage posts. The I4s consistantly get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
This is why they should have offered a v8 too, I think sometimes the V6 is having to work too hard too.

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
Loudnoud said:
Captain, yes, this is what I need...confirmation! Thanks

Don't put too much stake in that confirmation - according to the mileage posts the V6 folks are averaging around 20, and the 4-cyl folks are averaging around 27. Percentage-wise, that's HUGE. I still got the 6 anyway, and took it a step farther to the 6-speed, which gets even worse mpg. Sure is fun to drive, though :eek:hyeah:

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Toyota claims 27 mpg for the 4-banger regardless of which cab it is as well. I find that kind of hard to believe that it get the same milage regardless of which cab you get, but Ok. :dunno:

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
the posts i see is the V6 is in the mid to high teens with one or two claiming 20's

ALL the I4's are in teh 20's.

but alot of people in both groups estimate the numbers, and very few that i know of actually track it long term.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm one of the NON-runners getting 27.5mpg after 5K, it will be 28-29 this time next year. To me the pre-runner makes NO sense if mpg is a concern. The extra height and tires seem to put the hurt on mpg. I don't see the 4x4 I4 folks getting much different that the PREs.

I've lost track, you can get a PRE access I4 stick but not PRE access I4 Auto?

Then again, the PRE never made sense to me, kinda like a blower coming through the hood but no internals.:disappoin

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
Toyota claims 27 mpg for the 4-banger regardless of which cab it is as well. I find that kind of hard to believe that it get the same milage regardless of which cab you get, but Ok. :dunno:

Little about this truck's economy makes sense - similar to what you mention, the V6 access cab and double cab seem to report quite similar mpg, even though the double cab is a fair amount heavier. I wish they had put 3.55-ish gears in the 6-speed trucks, at which point they would've gotten as good (or better) mpg as the auto. The gearing they used is just too low (something I never thought I'd gripe about. I'm shifting into second before I even get to the center of an intersection, and if I go over about 65 mph it drops like crazy. I don't know if they thought we'd be using them to tow trains or what, but I really think they missed the mark. If your 6-speed truck accelerates slower and gets worse mpg than your automatic truck, you'd think it would dawn on you that maybe you geared it too low :dunno:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the 4cyl manual prerunner. a bit underpowered for highway cruising - but i would buy it again! less cost to buy, better mileage AND no premium gas reqd.

Prerunner access cab 4 cyl gas mileage reports are very consistent on this and other forums at 23mpg highway in summer at 70 mph. 21.5 in winter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had debated the 6cyl pre-runner vs the 4cyl 4x2 (both access cabs) and for me it came down to appearance. The 4cyl 4x2 did not come with the over-fenders and the dealer in my area could not get me alloys on it. I did some checking and by the time I added up the cost of over-fenders and after-market wheels/tires, I was close to the 6cyl pre-runner price.

I take mass-transit to work and only drive about 2 miles to the train station each day so my total mileage per year is less then 5K. Gas mileage really wasn't one of my concerns.

My truck is still on order at this time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
worthywads said:
I've lost track, you can get a PRE access I4 stick but not PRE access I4 Auto?
This is correct. Kind of seemed strange to me. I would be interested in the latter but apparently I must be in the minority otherwise Toyota would offer it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was interested in the I4 prerunner access cab w/ auto package until I found out it didn't exist. There is no way I'll drive a stick in bumper to bumper traffic 5 days a week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lZl jody lZl said:
I was interested in the I4 prerunner access cab w/ auto package until I found out it didn't exist. There is no way I'll drive a stick in bumper to bumper traffic 5 days a week.
That's one of the main reasons I do not want a stick as well: city driving and traffic. I am baffled as to why there would be more of a demand for an I4 stick vs I4 automatic in the PreRunner access cab.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ajglennon said:
I had debated the 6cyl pre-runner vs the 4cyl 4x2 (both access cabs) and for me it came down to appearance. The 4cyl 4x2 did not come with the over-fenders and the dealer in my area could not get me alloys on it. I did some checking and by the time I added up the cost of over-fenders and after-market wheels/tires, I was close to the 6cyl pre-runner price.

I take mass-transit to work and only drive about 2 miles to the train station each day so my total mileage per year is less then 5K. Gas mileage really wasn't one of my concerns.

My truck is still on order at this time.
So what did you end up doing? To me as well, it comes down to appearance. The PreRunner just looks cooler. The non-Pre just does not look as good with its smaller wheels and lower clearance. I too thought about the latter and upsizing on tires/wheels but I wonder if that's more hassle than it's worth. I would also want to know what it would look like before I would buy the vehicle and go that route. Forgive my ignorance on this, but can you upsize the tire and or wheel such that it actually raises the truck clearance? Reading about this on the Discount Tire site it says that the overall wheel diameter does not change when you upsize.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts