Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has knowledge on engine swap possiblities for a 4Runner.. like an earlier model.. early 90's I'm thinking..

The V6 think it is the 3VZ-E.. is a hunk of shit... heard horrible gas mileage and to top it off it's only 12V!
The 4cyl engine that also came in the 4Runners is the 22R-E I believe?

I was thinking of maybe a 3SGTE.. or something along the lines of that.. a factory blown engine is what I'm after.. Any input?

Also the 3VZE is only like a 160HP I think.. so more like 135hp at the wheels.. where as a 3SGTE, which is a smaller engine will put down 200ish at the wheels (if I get JDM 3S)... So any idea's guys?

Considerin gettin a 4Runner but both engines are hunks of shit, that's coming from me.. a corolla owner.. and the fact that even a 4AGZE would outperform the 3VZ-E or 22R-E... kinda disgusting lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Then do a 3.4 swap if you want to keep it toyota or a 7mgte motor. And don't say they wont fit because its already been done multiple times.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do a 3.4 swap?

I ain't gonna say they won't fit.. I don't even own a 4runner yet! LOL. I'd like one.. but I ain't gonna get one if I can't put a solid strong motor in.. want plenty of reliable beatable power. 7M is bulletproof...

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I definitly want something that will handle well.. get me decent gas mileage when i am being soft on the peddle.. yet put down the power when i romp it.. Need something that is going to be fairly easy to install.. in the terms of motor mounts and I don't have a welding unit.. So i'm really kinda limited as to having to reposition the mounts...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, engine swap, that is. Here's my logic so far........

Current stock '91 3VZE has 180,000 miles and is starting to annoy me.
Replacement toy engines are damn expensive, and then I'm only getting 150HP under the hood again. I'd like to upgrade my 31x10.5's to 33 or 35's, not gonna happen with stock engine. Oh, there really aren't any mods you can do to the 3VZE that will get you any appreciable HP.
So, a popular swap is the GM vortec 4.3 liter, which comes in 190HP and 200HP variations. You can buy a *complete* engine AND trans on ebay with under 50,000 miles for under $1300. There are fit-ment issues that need to be dealt with, firewall/distributor and engine height. Mods are much cheaper than on toy engine also.
Buick has a 3.8liter engine that is promising also. It is physically small than the 4.3, the Buick Grand National ran this engine with a turbo charger. Wouldn't that be fun:thumbup:

You can also purchase wiring harnesses that are made specifically for swapping these engines into your 4Runner. Same with adapters for bellhousing and such.

I'm still looking for more information on this subject also.....ANYONE?.......kgr

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Theres TONS of swap info out there. Do a search here or on yotatech.com or on 4x4wire for starters. Lotso options. I did the 3.4 swap and am happy with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
KGRoberts said:
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, engine swap, that is. Here's my logic so far........

I'd like to upgrade my 31x10.5's to 33 or 35's, not gonna happen with stock engine. I'm still looking for more information on this subject also.....ANYONE?.......kgr
I truely beg to differ on this one. I can show you people running 42" tires on a stock toyota engine. An easier swap for you would be to change the ring and pinion gears front and back. In fact I have a 4runner sitting in my driveway with 4.88 gears, 35" tires 5" lift and a 22re. I get between 22-25 miles to the gallon. And a top speed of about 100. I can usually pull my own for the most ways steep hills might get the better of me but it gets me where I need.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts