Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me because I'm pulling my hair out at this point.. I have a 1990 Toyota 4runner v6. She belonged to my older brother before he passed away and I received it as a gift. She stated up fine but we knew she overheated. In the course of a year I replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, the thermostat, fan clutch, water pump, and all the belts. We tried her again to no avail. That was roughly about two months ago. She still started and ran fine but was still over heating. I decided to replaced the head gaskets.. resurfaced the heads and slapped them back on and put her back together. She starts up just fine however now she won't stay running. If I'm not hitting the gas pedal and feeding her gas she won't stay running. She will slowly idle down until it shuts off.. I can't for the life of me figure out what the issue is. She started and ran just fine before the gasket replacement now she starts fine but won't run. If there anything I may have forgotten to do to cause this issue to arise? I checked the codes and I'm getting a 22 and 52. (Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor circuit.) Or (knock sensor) please help.. :/

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
My first instinct is that the TPS (throttle position sensor) isn't calibrated right.

This will throw a code, but is a simple 'test' (that is if your vehicle doesn't have an electronic idle control motor..... I'm not sure if the 4 Runner had it.... most Toyota's in this era didn't.... but my 93 cruiser did.... which surprised me...) - unplug the TPS..... this should tell the ecu to ignore what it thinks the TPS is set to....

If it runs, that was the problem - you will need to adjust it per the FSM (factory service manual). They aren't like a GM TPS where you pop it in and it's good to go.

Also make sure..... if it has an AFM that the hose between the AFM is tight and has no leaks. If it's MAP based that the vacuum reading is from a constant vacuum source (certain vacuum ports don't provide enough vacuum at idle). Make sure the coil is grounded.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts