Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 4Runner. Low tire pressure light won't go off. Have checked all 5 tires. Don't want to go to dealer everytime this happens. any suggestions?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Put the key in the off position, hold the reset button for the tire pressure monitor. Switch key to on position and release the reset button after the light goes away. The tire pressure reset button I believe is located near the bottom part of the steering cloumn. To the left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To trdcamry2003: The 03 and 04 4Runners do not have a reset button. I was hoping some one could tell me where the sending unit is and I might just disconnect it. I don't want to have to go to the dealership to have them put the scope on it to reset it. It is a 75 mile round trip to the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have replaced many valve stem sensors and for some reason it's always the right rear tire. The stem is the sensor it self. Bring it to a toyota dealer and they can hook it up on there TDT scan tool and will tell you the defective sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Blue Truck - thanks. I guess I am going to have to give up and take it to the dealer. I have only had it a couple of weeks. The light start flashing on the second day. It is a 70 mile round trip to the dealer plus every time you take something to the dealer you take the chance of getting grease marks and paint scratches. I guess I will bite the bullet (or valve stem) and take it in and let them scope it and fix it. Beagle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem as beagle. Light is flashing, not solid. Bought two weeks ago and light started flashing this weekend on the road. Annoying as hell but all tires' pressure was fine.

Thanks, Big Blue Truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BBT,

Taking my 4Runner to dealer this afternoon. Since you work at a dealer:

1) Will they test to see which valve stem is bad or just reset the system (if this can be done, if so, how do you reset it)?

2) How long should the fix take?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take off some air from all tires(including Spare Tire),then inflates all of the at the same pressure recomended by your Sport Edition Tires.Always use a good tire pressure gauge.I resolve this in my 2004 4 Runner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jfvcms,

Taking the pressure down a little and then back to the recommended PSI was the first thing I did when the light started going off, but thanks.

Took it to dealer last night. Apparently the wheels have some kind of embedded/coded serial number (this may be the same thing as the valve stem sensors, I don't know). But anyway, the wheels/tires on my '04 were switched at some point (mine has Michelins rather than the Dunlops that seem to be on most). When they were switched, the new codes from the wheels weren't programmed into the ECU, so the computer was picking up the signals from the old wheels. Dealer broke down all four tires/wheels, got the codes and programmed them in, and all is good to go.

Got an SR5 because I DIDN'T want a bunch of electronic crap on it that could go wrong, but I guess that's the tech world we live in. Other than this, absolutely loving my 4Runner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take off some air from all tires(including Spare Tire),then inflates all of the at the same pressure recomended by your Sport Edition Tires.Always use a good tire pressure gauge.I resolve this in my 2004 4 Runner.
This worked in my 2006 4Runner SR5. I had TOO MUCH air in the tires. Lowered pressure to 34 lbs and the light went off immediately!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts