Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
:smile:

Finally found a E153 in Ontario, along with some other parts including driveshafts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Engine arrived!:smile:

A few surprises here and there.
The ECU is Mines tuned.
Upgraded coils (we're not sure which ones yet) and a HKS Coils controller.
Crank Pulley
61mm Turbo (not sure of brand yet)

The E153 transmission hasn't arrived yet. Anyone have suggestions for a good flywhell clutch combination?

Obligatory pics...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks very good and tempting.

But why I'm not seeing a swap with an automatic transmission? Is that not possible or is just that people doing it are looking for more fun to drive cars and take the opportunity to switch to manual box?
If automatics can be used I might be interested on a swap (family wants to keep it automatic).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Looks very good and tempting.

But why I'm not seeing a swap with an automatic transmission? Is that not possible or is just that people doing it are looking for more fun to drive cars and take the opportunity to switch to manual box?
If automatics can be used I might be interested on a swap (family wants to keep it automatic).
The 3S ECU won't interface with the ECT on the A541E (auto tranny from 4th Gen V6 Camry).

Auto tranny from Caldina won't fit into a FWD engine bay.

Manual swap is the only possible option.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
UPDATE: E153 that we found turned out to be a POS. Fortunately the seller didn't ship it out because they found out right away.

So now we're still looking for a FWD version E153

If anyone in Canada, or the USA has one please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
UPDATE:

Found another E153, this one only has 120,000 KM on it, and it was for $900 CAD. From a 2002 Solara. :grin:

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,714 Posts
No way I can do a engine swap myself. I only ever got up to 2nd year in my apprenticeship.
I'm several weeks late to this convo, and have not read this through to the end, but I have never swapped an engine, and am not a mechanic or have ever taken any mechanic type courses. I've swapped the trans in my '09 Camry (and fixed every other thing from the ass end to the front), and am about to do the final touches on my engine swap, all in my driveway. A set of tools, the FSM, and YouTube/forums like this is all you need. Now that I am almost done with the swap I see it is mostly and pull and replace exercise. Granted I am putting in the same engine, and not trying to mod to a different one, but even then it is a pull-adapt-replace exercise. Surprisingly do-able. This engine was seized, so I had to remove the upper oil pan and head to get it to free from the trans, so I did have to learn a few things outside of a typical pull and swap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
UPDATE: THe tranny from theh 2002 Solara was another piece of junk (the case was cracked).

So now we are focusing on buying an entire donor car, a 2000 Solara. V6 standard.

Guess we'll see what condition it's really in soon...:|

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
UPDATE

E153 finally arrived from Ontario.

900$ CAD, 213,000 kms on it.

We also found out what that turbo was on the engine.

It's a bored CT26.

Just got back from dropping the Camry off at the shop. If all goes well I'll see 'er again in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
BUMP

I need some parts that are currently next to impossible to find in Canada

Toyota doesn't makes these parts anymore...

This is what I need...

1997-2001 Camry or 1998-2003 Solara V6 5-Speed shifter assembly and linkages.

I'm willing to buy anywhere from North America.

·
Registered
85 camry 5spd dlx
947 Posts
If it is indeed the cables, I have mine for sale here:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/66-car-parts-sale/1610522-fs-gen4-camry-5spd-swap-obx-r-exhaust-tein-springs-ss-lines.html

I'd like to sell as a lot, but feel free to make an offer. Cables were perfectly working when pulled from the car to swap it back to auto.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that there are TWO sets of cable retainers at the firewall - one on the engine bay side that is easy to get to, and the other on the inside of the double-firewall that is a pain to get to.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
BUMP

I need some parts that are currently next to impossible to find in Canada

Toyota doesn't makes these parts anymore...

This is what I need...

1997-2001 Camry or 1998-2003 Solara V6 5-Speed shifter assembly and linkages.

I'm willing to buy anywhere from North America.
Hm, couple things.

So I have a '99 V6 manual, I think the trans designation is S51. Is the E153 beefier/has better aftermarket support/a drop-in? I guess I'm asking about the differences between them.

Off that car, I'm planning to replace the shifter assembly - it works fine but it's cockeyed for some reason. The stick lists to the right, isn't centered; 1st is where 3rd should be, 3rd is where 5th should be, etc. I think I have the older part number ending in 0, but the part number ending in 1 is a drop-in replacement apparently, would you be interested in my old shifter?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Hm, couple things.

So I have a '99 V6 manual, I think the trans designation is S51. Is the E153 beefier/has better aftermarket support/a drop-in? I guess I'm asking about the differences between them.

Off that car, I'm planning to replace the shifter assembly - it works fine but it's cockeyed for some reason. The stick lists to the right, isn't centered; 1st is where 3rd should be, 3rd is where 5th should be, etc. I think I have the older part number ending in 0, but the part number ending in 1 is a drop-in replacement apparently, would you be interested in my old shifter?

If you have a V6 manual, I've read that you are supposed to have a FWD version of the E153 transmission. Did you have something swapped?

Is your 99 Camry originally a V6 Standard, or a 4-cylinder Standard?

As far as I've learned, the linkages for a S51 are different than the linkages for an E153.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
If you have a V6 manual, I've read that you are supposed to have a FWD version of the E153 transmission. Did you have something swapped?

Is your 99 Camry originally a V6 Standard, or a 4-cylinder Standard?

As far as I've learned, the linkages for a S51 are different than the linkages for an E153.

AFAIK everything is stock. The dealer report on the VIN shows V6 manual from the factory, NAP production. I think everything is stock, it's just had a shoddy flexpipe repair once and needs a bunch of wear-and-tear parts replaced. Also want to replace the shifter because I figure I can find an Oak boot in better condition, or something nice from a luxury car - mine looks like a used condom.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
UPDATE
Bought @slavie 's 5-speed conversion kit! :grin:

You're the best man! No on in Canada had any of those parts available!

61 - 80 of 136 Posts