Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
That shifter looks soo familiar. Hmmm...
It's working perfectly fine, but what I suspected about the differences between the linkages for the S54 and E153 was true. The stick rests slightly to the right, so 1st gear is where 3rd would normally be, and so forth...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Huh, so I guess the cable that comes out of the ends is different. I didn't think of that - I only thought of the length of the sleeve.
I'd say take out the shifter rod itself, and bend it to the left close to the base to correct the neutral position.

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
195 Posts
Can you get a mr2 turbo carrier bearing bracket and bolt that to the 3sgte? Just cut a new groove in the axle for the snap ring?

Just a thought, I've only swapped Camry parts to MR2s, not the other way around. I actually might have a 1mz/e153 carrier bearing bracket around if you still need one...

Cool to see someone actually going through with a project like this!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Can you get a mr2 turbo carrier bearing bracket and bolt that to the 3sgte? Just cut a new groove in the axle for the snap ring?

Just a thought, I've only swapped Camry parts to MR2s, not the other way around. I actually might have a 1mz/e153 carrier bearing bracket around if you still need one...

Cool to see someone actually going through with a project like this!!
The catch is, on the Camry, the rear carrier bracket is also an engine mount - an ear comes out of it and gets bolted to the mount. Even if he had the MR2 bracket, he'd still need to weld an extension to it to go to the motor mount.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
The catch is, on the Camry, the rear carrier bracket is also an engine mount - an ear comes out of it and gets bolted to the mount. Even if he had the MR2 bracket, he'd still need to weld an extension to it to go to the motor mount.
A few ideas

1. What if we used a MR2 bearing carrier (bolts onto the rear of the 3S engine block), and assigned the rear mounting to a different location(s) ?

2. Re using the 5S mount and bearing carrier, and getting a custom bearing to fit the E153 driveshaft on the ID and the 5S bracket on the OD?

3. Welding 72mm ID steel pipe onto the exisitng engine mount and making a custom bearing carrier with that (will it be safe?).

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
195 Posts
1. That might work. The MR2 rear engine mount attaches to the transaxle rather than the engine. You could us the mr2 transmission side and make a bracket to weld or bolt the rubber (chassis) side of the engine mount to the subframe?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
1. That might work. The MR2 rear engine mount attaches to the transaxle rather than the engine. You could us the mr2 transmission side and make a bracket to weld or bolt the rubber (chassis) side of the engine mount to the subframe?
No, because you'll unbalance the whole engine - bad things will happen. You'd need to change all mounts then. Camry engines are suspended in completely different fashion (big front and rear mounts are mid through engine, tiny pas side torque arm, tranny sits on subframe) than MR2/Celica engines (smaller front and rear tranny mounted mounts, tranny hangs from frame, beefy pas side mount to hold the engine).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
No, because you'll unbalance the whole engine - bad things will happen. You'd need to change all mounts then. Camry engines are suspended in completely different fashion (big front and rear mounts are mid through engine, tiny pas side torque arm, tranny sits on subframe) than MR2/Celica engines (smaller front and rear tranny mounted mounts, tranny hangs from frame, beefy pas side mount to hold the engine).
Correct, we'll need a rear mount on the back of the engine block for sure. One thought I have is to find another spot (or unused drilled holes) on the rear of the engine block to mount to the rear mount, and use the MR2 bearing carrier to secure the bearing only (unlike the 1MZ rear mount/carrier combo bracket).

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
425 Posts
did you rebuild it, or just paint the outside?
they are so robust I could see just cleaning up and painting, is why I decided to ask

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
195 Posts
Oh ok that's a good call on the mounts. Could you make a weight bearing passenger side mount? Attach it to the strut tower?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Oh ok that's a good call on the mounts. Could you make a weight bearing passenger side mount? Attach it to the strut tower?
In a Camry, thet's where all the torque movement is. It's best to let that remain as the torque dampening mount.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
More shenanigans...

20191123_212028.jpg 20191123_212051.jpg 20191123_223240.jpg 20191123_223225.jpg 20191124_004012.jpg

This was from last night.

Today (Sunday) the parts store was closed and we ran out of clamps and hoses...

More to come...

·
Super Moderator
12,866 Posts
Looks like a couple inches is exposed. It’d block airflow, but a lip would cover it.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts