Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning / afternoon all,

First, I did some digging in the forums but couldn't find any direct answers. Perhaps I didn't go deep enough and if so, I apologize.

I just acquired a 1999 Japan built, XLE V6 Camry, that is mechanically solid but has some cosmetic issues that I'm trying clean up. I need to replace the front & rear bumper covers for starters. My question is (Obviously the grills changed at some point) are the front bumper covers across the 4th gen models interchangeable (1997 - 2001?)? My uncle is a body guy and has a bumper cover from a 2000 or 2001 Camry with no grill installed. I'm sure I can find a decent grill at one of our local salvage yards and if so, could I use the bumper cover that he has on my '99? If no, what's preventing it out of curiosity? New to the Camry scene.

Again, sorry if this is a duplicate post.

-Justin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be fine since they are the same... but since your uncle is a body shop guy I would assume he would have a better and faster answer.
He's a busy guy and works for a main stream dealer so I'm not going to bug him to much about it. He's pretty positive that it'll fit, but with the grill changes across the years I just wanted to be sure before I messed with driving the distance to pick it up.

They aren't the same perse, one has a fixed non-removable grill (the cover that's installed on the '99) and the other does not have the grill installed (from an '01 or '02). I just wanted to make sure the mounting points, headlight lens fitment, etc. were the same.

Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,962 Posts
Compare and contrast, my bet is that it will fit with minor modifications but don't take my word on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Compare and contrast, my bet is that it will fit with minor modifications but don't take my word on it.
Thank you for the cross-reference, totally spaced out doing that. Nice work.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
356 Posts
The bumper covers will NOT fit without some creative work on the bulkhead. You will have to have the proper headlight units as well as parking lights.
In short, probably not worth the hassle.

P.S. a couple months ago, I installed 2000 headlight units in my 1999. A lot of work, and the bumper cover had to be cut as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bumper covers will NOT fit without some creative work on the bulkhead. You will have to have the proper headlight units as well as parking lights.

P.S. a couple months ago, I installed 2000 headlight units in my 1999. A lot of work, and the bumper cover had to be cut as well.
Just talked to my Uncle (the 40yr veteran body guy) and he informed me (which I did not know until now) that he had the front bumper cover installed on the vehicle before realizing the differences in the grills (he didn't have a grill to install). No gaps, no install issues, etc. The only thing he wasn't sure about was hood clearance because he didn't make it that far due to not having a grill on hand to install. Mind you, he was trying to clean the vehicles cosmetic issues up before getting it to me and he was working on it on his day off, so I'll take his comments lightly for now, until I have the cover in hand and attempt install myself.

What "creative work" are you referring to?

·
Registered
Toyotas.
356 Posts
What "creative work" are you referring to?
The headlights do not directly interchange between 97-99 and 00-01. Neither do the parking lights. The mounting points are different and the shape is different. The 00-01 are larger, as is the clearance in the 00-01 bumper cover. So, I'm not a "40yr veteran", but I AM a veteran of this exact swap, and you're in for some creative cutting and mounting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The headlights do not directly interchange between 97-99 and 00-01. Neither do the parking lights. The mounting points are different and the shape is different. The 00-01 are larger, as is the clearance in the 00-01 bumper cover. So, I'm not a "40yr veteran", but I AM a veteran of this exact swap, and you're in for some creative cutting and mounting.
I don't have any plan on changing the headlight lenses ... I picked up the bumper cover yesterday and now that I have it in hand, I'll probably swap them this weekend and see how it goes. I'll update with my results / findings when I'm done.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,808 Posts
1997-1999 bumper/headlight won't fit into a 2000-2001 without modification. The hood latch part/middle support is different as well. There's difference in the splash shield as well for both front wheel wells to accommodate the different bumper shape. Headlight also won't sit flush/fit right. If using a 97-99 headlight in 2000-2001 bumper, there's going to be a huge cap below headlight. The cutout for the bumper on the 00-01 is diff from the 97-99. Wiring is also a total different setup due to the 9005/9006 bulb vs the single 9003.

Personally I wouldn't try to modify....a lot of work. I would wait for a 97-99 which will be a direct bolt on swap.

Oh yea for rear bumper, there's some differences. rear 2000-2001 tail light are larger. So if you use a bumper from that year, you'll have a gap. Otherwise it should fix if your looking for functionality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1997-1999 bumper/headlight won't fit into a 2000-2001 without modification. The hood latch part/middle support is different as well. There's difference in the splash shield as well for both front wheel wells to accommodate the different bumper shape. Headlight also won't sit flush/fit right. If using a 97-99 headlight in 2000-2001 bumper, there's going to be a huge cap below headlight. The cutout for the bumper on the 00-01 is diff from the 97-99. Wiring is also a total different setup due to the 9005/9006 bulb vs the single 9003.

Personally I wouldn't try to modify....a lot of work. I would wait for a 97-99 which will be a direct bolt on swap.

Oh yea for rear bumper, there's some differences. rear 2000-2001 tail light are larger. So if you use a bumper from that year, you'll have a gap. Otherwise it should fix if your looking for functionality.
Excellent info, thank you for putting in the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thank you for taking the time to reply with details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts