Toyota Nation Forum banner

4th Gen Highlander Genuine OEM Rear Fog Lights (EU version) can be special ordered through TOYOTA USA

8K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  FEVERAKA 
#1 ·
After some google-fu and poking and prodding a few dealers I was able to acquire a set of the Genuine Toyota OEM REAR FOG Lights lights that come standard on European market 2020+ Highlanders.
These replace the non-lighted reflectors on the rear bumpers.

My research took me to a Global Toyota parts supplier based in Dubai and ended with a local dealer in Southern Ontario special ordering from Toyota USA's warehouse, the parts arrived at my door a week later.

Automotive design Red Font Material property Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part

Map Font Parallel Auto part Pattern

Any dealer in US/Canada should be able to special order these. They will be non-returnable items.
Total cost about $240 CAD including shipping and 13% tax.

Here are the part numbers:

81490-0E070 , RR FOG, LEFT HAND (driver's side)
Font Motor vehicle Material property Asphalt Rectangle
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Ticket

81480-0E070, RR FOG, RIGHT HAND (passenger's side)
Font Material property Rectangle Signage Ticket
Rectangle Font Parallel Wood Number

550B refers to Toyota's internal Program Code for the 4th gen Highlander.

The bulb socket wire is INCLUDED with each rear fog light, but here's the part number for reference:
81459-0E030, Bulb Socket and Wire
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Auto part Gas Electronic device

Here's where I ordered them.

IMPORTANT for CANADIANS: don't input your VIN or the order will be cancelled. Just leave a note in the order that these will be retrofitted. These parts aren't tied to any vehicle in Toyota's North American lineup so there's technically no compatibility in the system. For questions email info@toyotapartsdirect.ca and ask for Bowen.

For US owners, you'll likely need to do the same through a Toyota online store or your local Toyota Parts counter.
ToyotaPartsDeal.com has them listed

The included bulbs are standard halogen 7440 bulbs. I highly recommend amber LED bulbs to colour match with the tail/brake lights.

EU vs China Market REAR FOG LIGHTS
If you followed my other thread where I talked about the China Market version Rear Fog lights I installed from a Crown Kluger, there's some differences and I would recommend the EU version over the China version.
The EU fogs are made in USA and designed to match our bumpers exactly which are also made in USA, it's safe to assume it's the same bumper used on the EU market Highlanders.
The China market OEM rear fogs are made in China and designed for their made in China 4th gen bumpers.
On the China version one of the tabs is too long and needs to be cut with a new hole drilled. The fitment of the China fogs into our bumpers is also just a little loose although they fit fine once screwed down.
I've had the China version on my car for 3 weeks and they're already one of those "should've came with the car" type of mod. I'll wait for a nice day to throw the EU versions. With winter coming it may have to wait till spring. I should be able to do it without taking off the whole bumper again, just releasing the sides of the bumpers should work.

Here is the China market version with tail/brake lights on. Using VLEDS high visibility 7440/7443 amber LED bulbs

Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Light

Here's a video on how to properly use rear fog lights

Here's a general comparison video showing the difference with and without rear fog lights. (not my video)

See less See more
2 9
#5 ·
Nice but violates US regulations

"
333.06 RED REFLECTORS ON REAR OF VEHICLES.

(a) Every new motor vehicle hereafter sold and operated upon a street, other than a commercial tractor, to which a trailer or semitrailer is attached, shall carry at the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors meeting the requirements of this Code, except that vehicles of the type mentioned in Ohio R.C. 4513.07 shall be equipped with reflectors as required by the regulations provided for in such section.

(b) Every such reflector shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to fifty feet from such vehicle"

#6 · (Edited)
Nice but violates US regulations

"
333.06 RED REFLECTORS ON REAR OF VEHICLES.

(a) Every new motor vehicle hereafter sold and operated upon a street, other than a commercial tractor, to which a trailer or semitrailer is attached, shall carry at the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors meeting the requirements of this Code, except that vehicles of the type mentioned in Ohio R.C. 4513.07 shall be equipped with reflectors as required by the regulations provided for in such section.

(b) Every such reflector shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to fifty feet from such vehicle"

The bottom 1/3 are Reflectors.
It’s the top 2/3 of the assembly that’s the fog light.
Some European countries have the same reflector requirement actually, they just also require at least one rear fog, 2 if the vehicle is a certain width.

Product Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Red

#10 ·
Nice. I had a '91 Audi that came with a rear fog. It was a single separate bright red light. Def helpful in low vis conditions. There are some aftermarket lit replacements for those reflectors that mimic the turn and brake signals. I imagine these could be wired as rear fogs. Here's an example. They're much less expensive than the factory fogs.

#11 ·
Those don’t have the fog reflector in them to throw the light down the road. They’re more for decorative use.
There’s a video on YouTube with them in action and they don’t look any brighter than the tail lights.

Reactions: elabsNX2k
#14 ·
I found those part numbers also, the turn signal stalk with rotary rear fog light switch built into it and the required harness under the steering wheel. Easily doubles the cost of the project, but they’re not available here.
We might also need the Euro spec BCM to control it, since on the Euro highlander the rear fogs revert to off automatically when car is restarted. If true this turns a not so bad install into a very complicated one.

#24 ·
How much do you charge for labour? ;)

As a fellow canuck, I would love to install one but not labour-savvy enough to do it :'(
I won’t take money for working on cars. Money ruins all the fun. You have anything interesting to barter? :) Message me.

#31 ·
Just updating with the Euro stalk part number:

843290E040

Apparently this is the same part that's used on 21-22 Sienna's that are sold in Taiwan,
they have the rear fog light over there also. These are US built Siennas and sold only in Taiwan market.
So when you search for 843290E040 it comes up as a Sienna part.
Good news is it's currently available for purchase through any Toyota dealer in North America.

The harness part number is showing as the same as North America version (8431902020), so either we don't need it or there's some mistake in the system. Someone will just have to bite the bullet and see what happens.

#33 ·
Do you know what years this fits? Wife had a 2017 Highlander, recently upgraded fog lights to Diode Dynamics Elite and have done similar mods on my Toyota Sequoia etc but love the OEM option. I’ve not been impressed by the crap I’ve seen on EBay.
Since it’s posted in the 4th generation forum… I would have to assume it….

#36 ·
I was looking at the EBay led versions but im guessing the fit/finish/LEDs are subpar.

#37 ·
I was looking at the EBay led versions but im guessing the fit/finish/LEDs are subpar.
Those are more for decoration, you want the OEM versions for functional rear fog lights.
And you can change the bulbs to whatever LED bulbs you like, the Ebay fogs have embeded LED panels, when they burn out you're either buying a new assemblies or ripping them apart to change out the surface mount LEDs if you have the tools/experience to do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.