Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2009 Tacoma. 4WD hasn't been used much in quite a while. Will this cause a problem in lubrication when we do use 4WD? How best should we deal with it?

·
5,908 Posts
Run it ever so often on wet pavement. Just for relubrication. That's about it.
No, it will not rust or deteriorate somehow but I do feel your question. Lube drips down from all the gears and chains.
Just run it ever so often. Buttons do corrode, if not used (Silverado owners know what I mean), even stick shift gets sticky to move.

·
My Other Truck
3,778 Posts
Welcome to TN! Good advice above, no harm done but the 4WD bits do like to be used occasionally. Avoid engaging on pavement if possible, especially don't engage 4WD on dry pavement to help prevent the drivetrain from binding.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

carilc, the owners manual recommends 10 miles per month. We don't have enough rainy weather here to allow that. So it goes in alot when we have lots of rain, to make up for the drought months. There can be some corrosion of the switches inside the transfer case which can cause problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
RTFM
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing