Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2001 Tacoma; 4WD V6. My 4WD is not working. It stopped working a couple days ago. It is push buttom, both 4 hi and 4 lo aren't engaging. I was wondering if someone can help me out with some info? Is this common? What should I check or fix on it? Easy, Hard? Anything that might help would be great. Thanks.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
What is your indication that it is not engaging. Have you jacked up the truck with all 4 wheels off the ground and engaged to see which wheels turn? If it isn't working you will need a multimeter. The 4wd on the late models is controlled by a pair of electric actuators. One is located on the transfer case, and the other is located at the front diff. First, check the fuse. Then you can have somebody hit the button and you can listen for the actuators. If you don't hear them you will need to check for power, ground, and make sure the relays are working. You can use a car battery to hot wire the actuators to make sure they are working.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Probably just a fuse or something with the switch. It happend on my Trailblazer once. It can be fixed in about 2 minutes if it is.

Electronic 4x4 switches seem to break more than the old school mechanical lever, regardless of vehicle brand or frequency of 4x4 use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive on ice and snow, my back wheels are spinning.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the fuse first and see from there.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
IF not the fuse go with Tcmaboy's suggestion. I fixed a chevy the other day where the front actuator ground it self out. quick and simple remove test from the battery and if it does not actuate replace.

Lance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts