Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
cause it's blue
'91, 4x4, Xtra
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had to post anything yet because I've found many of my questions already answered on this forum...anywho...I have a 1991 4x4,22re with 322,000kms...or 200 or so miles on it and when I engage the 4x4 there is a slight grinding noise. I have checked and tested ADD system and there are no blocks/leaks in the vacuum hoses or electrical problems with VSV's and the fluids are topped up in T-case and all diffs. When I changed front diff. fluid there were no apparent metal fragments and the 4x4 system works but it's that damn noise! The sound gets louder as I give it more gas and it matches the sound of rotation with wheels....and when I turn it gets a bit louder (I have been testing on snow and dirt). Could it be the hubs? Axle? Any help would be appreciated! These Canadian winters are only fun in two wheel drive until your stuck! THanks

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
First make sure that you have GL-5 in the front diff.

second make sure that the bushings in the frond spindles where the axles go through are properly lubed. There is also a needle bearing kit to replace the bushings, not necessary, but they are nice.

Thats It!

That's the extent of my 4WD knowlege

Hopefully one of the wheelers can jump in now and add some more to this.

·
cause it's blue
'91, 4x4, Xtra
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...

Yuppers, got GL-5 in front diff...I'll check out those bushings, hopefully something will come out of it. Thanks for your response. I still have a gut feeling (maybe it's the beer) the hubs could be part of the problem too...if so, anyone have experience with manual locking Warn hubs? Later.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
weak transfer case shift bushing?????

·
cause it's blue
'91, 4x4, Xtra
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was the transfer case shift bushing would the sound be coming from the front? When I have my window down and head out the window I can hear the grind...almost like it's right in front of me and it gets worse as I turn...especially to the left. Although under initial load, when I punch the gas there is a ping coming from behind/between the seats in T-case territory regardless if I'm in two-wheel drive or four. Could this all be related, or just coincidence? Wow this is stressful...I'm going to bed...maybe it'll fix itself overnight. Thanks again for the responses!

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
ONly in 4x4?? check the front drive shaft u-joints, or worse, the front diff pinion bearing could be dying. can't think of anything else that might make a gringing up front. grinding is such a vague onomatapeia anyhow, hehehe.

·
cause it's blue
'91, 4x4, Xtra
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, the sound is only there in 4x4...I know "grinding" is a vague onomatopoeia (good choice of word by the way!) but it's kinda like two components in rotation together...well at least one and producing a grating, dry rubbing sound...ya that probably didn't narrow it down either. I've been meaning to have a look at it but it was -24C soooooo -11F here today plus windchill....the truck fired up no problem though, even sitting outside with 10w30! Thanks for the suggestions...just gotta wait till it warms up.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
only good thing about Cali, can work on my truck almost 365.

·
Performance Downgrade
86 Toyota 4x4 pickup
228 Posts
any luck?

Hey...i'm having a similar issue in 4hi only. have you found a solution to this yet? I'd love to know what it is.

Thanks,
Shamus

·
another toyota owner
The WHITE one.
380 Posts
If I understand: You have the Toyota ADD system, which has a conversion to WARN manual hubs.

Swapped parts or ORS kit? See: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/man_hub_conversion/

I'd look close at the hub conversion parts.

And, replace the hubs with some AISIN hubs!

(I am SO glad NOT to have the ADD system!)

·
Performance Downgrade
86 Toyota 4x4 pickup
228 Posts
Hi,

My truck has a SAS from an 82 yota...and is equiped with the AISIN hubs. So... Any other guesses?

Thanks!
Shamus

·
another toyota owner
The WHITE one.
380 Posts
Well, then, I'd guess that the solution to your issue is very dissimular to that of the OP...

·
Performance Downgrade
86 Toyota 4x4 pickup
228 Posts
Well, then, I'd guess that the solution to your issue is very dissimular to that of the OP...
sorry...can't tell if you're flaming me or not. either way...Interesting statement. Considering no solution has been found to this question yet. So, why do you think my solution is very dissimular? Maybe the ADD guess is not the solution at all...and maybe we have the same exact issue. My truck too sounds like it's grinding metal on metal in a circular motion that increases as speed increases. it only does it in 4wd as well.

Thanks for the try though.
Sincerely,
Shamus

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
CV joints? Either way, I think it's time to tear down the front hubs & have a looksee....

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have an 82 and an 83 4x4 and they both are doing the same thing, an odd grinding noise coming from my front axle while it has barely any strain on it, it sounds just like gears are stripping out in my 83 and my 82 just started but i'm sure its the same problem. it only does it in 4wd (high or low range) with the hubs locked, and i agree it's coming from the axle or possibly hubs?

i know this isn't an answer but maybe it could help some and if anyone knows what my problem is please let me know so i can put my baby back on the trail

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Have any of you guys with the problems been doing the basic required maintainence, like lubing the hubs, changing the diff gear oil, or even checking the level?
If you think the noise might be from the diff, you could drain a little gear oil out to see if there's any metal in it.

·
I'm Easy.
'91 P/U DLX 4x4 22RE
1,327 Posts
x2

If your truck is making sounds as if gears are grinding, they probably are. Since it's isolated to only 4wd you know it's either the front diff or hubs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts