Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my 4X4 high and I turn a sharp corner the rear tires seem to skid/squeal like they are locked. The Locking rear Diff light is not on when it does this just regular 4X4 mode. Is this normal? Also my rear locking differential only works in 4X4 low, is that normal?

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Are you running on 4x4 high on dry pavement? If you are not on wet/loose ground the outer wheel has to tavel farther and you will hear noise. Not to mention being bad on your diff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
texas12 said:
Are you running on 4x4 high on dry pavement? If you are not on wet/loose ground the outer wheel has to tavel farther and you will hear noise. Not to mention being bad on your diff.
yes this happens on dry pavement. I realize if the rear differential is locked then this is bad, but it does this just in normal 4X4 mode. Is my rear differential locked in regular 4X4?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You have a part time 4wd system meaning there is no differential between your front axle and your rear axle. You're getting binding in the drivetrain because of this and it's normal. This is also why you're not supposed to use 4wd on high friction surfaces like pavement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok as long as its normal. Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts