Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<rant>Was driving from Seattle to Portland during this ice storm we had on Sunday, and noticed that all the 4x4s that flew past me on the freeway were all also the first ones I saw skidded off into the median or off the side of the road.

Why do people think that 4 wheel drive means 'I can drive like an idiot in any weather?"</rant>

I drive a 2006 Tacoma Dblcab 4x4, wifey drives a 1997 Corolla (which handles like a pro in wintery weather)

I'm sure all my Toyota bros and sisters out there don't fall into the idiot driver catagory! If you're smart enough to own a Toyota..you must be good drivers! :D

·
I am MAYHEM!
2002 Toyota Tundra
346 Posts
I hate driving my Tundra in snow (granted I like driving it through snow, off road :cool: ) because it has shitty Bridgestone Dueler tires on it. I've never spun out with it, but spun tires going up some inclines. Once the roads are dry I don't mind driving it because there's nothing to slip on, lol. I'm very cautious if I do drive it in the snow, though, because the V8 can break the rear end loose in a heartbeat! :yikes:

If I have to go anywhere in a storm, I'll take the Avalon (which I drive most of the time anyway), which is a great snow car, I can't even make it slip even when I've tried to! But no matter what I drive in the winter, I always err on the side of caution, or I just stay home if roads are impassable.

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
driving a 98 tacoma with 31 10.5 15's and 4 wheel peel and TRD package, I don't get cocky on the road....the rule of 4 wheel drive is "4 wheel does not mean you'll never get stuck....it means you stand a better chance of getting out of the ditch than the other guy". I admit I drive aggressive in shitty weather, only when I know it is safe......like my driveway

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
lol the funny thing is that all the 4x4 are mstly the yukons or the big SUVs...and they take for ever to stop...my uncle has a yukon ext4x4 and he says its a bitch...not only its it big its also heavy....and 4x4 isnt good on daily driving...he uses 2x4 and 4x4 when its really deep snow or when hes stuck,,,,i dont know why people think that when u have 4x4 or AWD think that they can drive faster...

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Here in Wisconsin you actually see more people who think that front-drive makes them invincible than your do folks with big 4x4s.
4x4 helps because you divide power amoungs more tires, but it does nothing to help with braking.
I dont care what you have, snow = SLOW!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
"Snow=Slow"

Snow for me means drifting in the snow and having fun...but on the roads i just leave extra room.....u dont have to go slower just leave room...AND KNOW YOUR CAR...

·
Registered
125 Posts
siamiam said:
people tend to forget that 4wd doesnt help you stop

in winter stopping is more important than going
Agreed it all comes down to the four points of contact with the road, drive too fast for the conditions loose grip the further you will end up off the road.

Slow down or it's :yikes:

·
&#24187;&#24433;
673 Posts
Peter said:
...all the 4x4 are mstly the yukons or the big SUVs...
those are also the cocksuckers that drive like morons. seriously, i see a lot of rich bastards driving yukon's and expetition's in the snow like nothing is gonna happen to them. :disappoin

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
I could rant on for 3 hours about SUV drivers. :disappoin Dry or wet roads, when there is a tailgater in my mirror, 9 out of 10 times it's an SUV or pick up truck.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
yepp...tires are really important too.....i say tires are the most important for winter driving

·
Registered
132 Posts
Peter said:
...i dont know why people think that when u have 4x4 or AWD think that they can drive faster...
see I have the opposite problem here. Currently I drive an AWD vehicle, but even when I had my old FWD golf, people are always driving too slow. I mean extra caution is extra caution. but driving 40 (km/h, sorry I'm canadian eh) in a 50, where I normally drive 70-80(becuz it's a backroad), and a lot of others usually do 65, just becuz it's a snow covered road is rediculous...or slowing down on the highway (80km/h) to 60 when it's clearly safe to do at least the speed limit, becuz of a little blowing snow, or some snow falling or something. That's the problem around here...

back to the main topic tho, it is mostly 4x4's in the ditch becuz of the false sense of security and stupid people. But driving too slow is also a hazard...if you feel unsafe on the roads stay at home, or get better tires so you feel safer. I won't pass unless it's for sure safe, but I don't want to follow you down the highway doing less than the speed limit becuz your too scared or your tires suck!

end rant

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Peter said:
"Snow=Slow"

Snow for me means drifting in the snow and having fun...but on the roads i just leave extra room.....u dont have to go slower just leave room...AND KNOW YOUR CAR...
Yeah, but if you drive too fast for the conditions, spin out and hit another car or worse, then what?
Snow = slow, however, just how slow depends on the road conditions.
If its just powdery snow on top of the pavement you dont need to slow down but if its heavy, wet snow or icy, then you should slow down.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
camrycoupe95 said:
I could rant on for 3 hours about SUV drivers. :disappoin Dry or wet roads, when there is a tailgater in my mirror, 9 out of 10 times it's an SUV or pick up truck.
I drive a commercial truck and most people follow me so close that most of the time I don't even know they're there since I have no visibility directly to the rear of the vehicle. Look out the rear window and all I see is cargo or the gates on the bed. I don't think I have to worry too much though since my truck weighs 4 times most cars (11,500 lb empty). Most cars probably will just go under the the truck or something...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Snow does not mean slow.
Ice means slow.
:cool:
Just invest 300-400bucks in tires and you DONT have to drive like you're about to shit in your pants.
Heh, these are what rally guys use in snow and ice racing, they wont last long on tarmac (studs shear off), but on snow and ice the grip is just something. :lol:

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Proper studless tires work damn well too. like 100x better than "all-season tires" and 100000x better than summer tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts