Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was looking through ebay today and found a turbo kit for a tercel it is the CT-9 Turbo Kit and its only $200 if I get this can I just bolt it onto a stock 96 tercel engine or does it have to be the starlet 4-efe. I think it will just bolt on but Id like to be sure also do any of you know where I could find instructions on how to do this aswell. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Im kinda new to this stuff but what do you mean by fueling like the ecu and the emanage also can you get the harness and emanage off ebay aswell. If I cant figure out how to do it how much do you think a mechanic would charge me. Also what kinda exhaust work are you talking about like a muffler system maybe?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,861 Posts
The bad thing about going to a mechanic is the parts are all JDM and no books here will help the mechanic out. I'd love to say it'd go on and everything would be gravy but I'd rather be honest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CT-9 Turbos

So maybe that exact kit wont work but Ive heard of others on here that have put ct-9 turbo on a 5-efe so cant someone just lead me in the direction of getting a turbo on. Like what harness do I need and will I need a mechanic. And if I get a kit it looks like it would just bolt on bolt on but I could be wrong. I saw another one on ebay the other day for like $700 but if I could find one for like $500 then that would be great.

·
Got a FC3S!
92 Paseo/90 RX7
1,455 Posts
You need a custom frontpipe to connect the turbo downpipe and factory exhaust path. You could also stand to get bigger exhaust pipe all the way back. You will need some sort of way to run the car since your stock ecu isn't made for boost. So a emanage piggyback or a custom harness with a 4efte ecu. Also your injectors aren't big enough for turbo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how does one get a custom frontpipe made to fit this car and do you know a good place to find a ct-9 turbo besides ebay. And what psi of boost should I use I was thinkin like 5 psi because I dont want to fry the engine. And would I have to get a custom map with the emanage or would it just be better to find the 4efte harness. Also do you think I need a mechanic to install this or can I do it as a straight bolt on part other than the custom frontpipe you were talking about.

·
Got a FC3S!
92 Paseo/90 RX7
1,455 Posts
If you use emanage you will be able to do most of it yourself if you have the proper tools, time, and a repair manual to give you a base of what is what in the car. 5-7 psi is fine for that motor without issue. It would be best to get a TRD MHG. You can always try to get knowledge and parts from other sites more dedicated to this type of car. I belong to many sites, but the three I visit most are: here, www.tercelonline.com and www.toyotagtturbo.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey radiant, your going to want to research, research, research before you do that project...

go on http://board.tercelonline.com and use the search option...

look for anything pertaining to your inquiries, (ct9, 4efte, e-manage, FMU, S-AFC, check valve, starlet, injectors, etc.) ...anything you could possibly want to know is on there

The more research you do ahead of time, the smoother the process will go...

Also anyone can tackle this project if you do a good amount of homework.

Lastly, the 4efte turbo kit fits on NA 4e-fe, paseo 5e-fe, and tercel DIS 5e-fe...

As for finding another 4e turbo kit...gotta watch ebay like a hawk and just wait, or you could source one from dudes on http://board.tercelonline.com or www.toyotagtturbo.com

Good Luck

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so basically I could find a turbo kit with a custom downpipe and then what would I get for an exhaust. I think it would be much cheaper this route then getting a whole new engine but I could be wrong. Also how would I get a fuel and ignition map for the emanage unit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i believe e-manage comes with some base maps to start with, and you can tweak from the base map... in the end it will cost less to just get the 4efte engine swap rather than the turbo kit and put it on a 5e-fe...(nontheless i am turboing the 5e) it just depends what you want... I want a turbo 5e, but if you're looking for significant horsepower in the end...the 4efte swap would be better

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really I just dont see how buying the engine and getting it shipped and then installed by someone would be cheaper then just getting a cheap little ct-9 with the emanage and a new exhaust system what do you think. And how are you going to install your turbo superfast?

·
Registered
136 Posts
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=22919

search http://board.tercelonline.com ... everything you want to know is there, make a user id on there and look in performance + engine upgrades, then look under 5e. You will find thread after thread about turboing 5e. then look under 4e and find thread after thread...

I am starting my turbo project out with a newer 5efe engine (about 20,000 miles). I had 190,000 miles on my old one, and blew the headgasket. I'm going to use a 4efte turbo kit (ported manifold, gutted cat, 4e oil pan/sump), a DSM 1g blow-off valve, relocating intercooler, or a DSM 1g intercooler(small front mount), FMU/S-AFC and starlet injectors, relocating knock sensor higher up on block, two-row all metal radiator, oil catch can, boost/oil pressure/air fuel gauges, boost controller, and turbo timer and no A/C, no P/S

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya Ive been reading up at tercelonline but I still dont know where to get everything I need I found the turbo but Im unsure on where to find custom maps and a suitable exhaust system can you fill me in on where you found everything and maybe a price list too thanks?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.