Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· STi Killer :0)
06 taco
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys... Just wondering what gears do you guys use for what driving condition for the V6 Automatics??? I drive in "D" all the time... Should it be on a different gear at times of freeway for long straight paths? let me know. thanks boys!

· Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,070 Posts
Only time I shift out of D is if I'm trying to scrub off a little speed without getting on the brakes...

... or, if I'm winding out the RPMs to listen to my exhaust. :eek::

· My Other Truck
6,644 Posts
Totota's tranny is a lot smarter than me, so I leave it in D -- unless I want additional engine braking, or if conditions make it shift back & forth too much, like on some uphill stretches...

· Registered
637 Posts
Normally keep it in D unless I'm feeling a little bored and the roads are empty

· I had a six pack
241 Posts
D all the time.But use 3 and 4 for coming down out of the mountains.And 1 and 2 for four wheeling.

· TacoFever
414 Posts
4/3 for snow and hills

Normal driving I use D. But when I'm in snow/ice condition I shift into 4 for added engine braking. During incline or decline I also shift to 4/3 depending on speed. I find the Tacoma likes to shift into 5 too soon during uphills and shifts back and forth b/w 4&5. So I just keep it in 4 on uphills.

· STi Killer :0)
06 taco
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone is using the term "engine braking" what is that??? Sorry i sound like a noob. lol What gear to use uphill and what gears to use downhill??? Is 'D' in automatic overdrive already? Or is the overdrive automatic too??? lol im confused.

· I had a six pack
241 Posts
Try this.Cruise at 40mph, let off the gas, then downshift to 3rd.You'll find out what engine braking is. ;) Just be careful when engine braking.If you go one gear to much, you may blow up your engine.No rev limiter will save you then. :eek:wned: And you never want to downshift into 1st gear while in motion.Ever.If you got to put it into first, then stop completly.The only time I use 1st is when I'm in 4lo, and I'm going down a really steep off-road trail.
When going uphill, pop it into 4th.

· Registered
Tacoma Prerunner SR5
21 Posts
1st_Cavalry said:
Just be careful when engine braking.If you go one gear to much, you may blow up your engine.No rev limiter will save you then. And you never want to downshift into 1st gear while in motion.Ever.If you got to put it into first, then stop completly.
This is a good point, but with the Automatic in the truck, I am 99% sure that even if you downshift 1 or more too many gears, it will wait to downshift until it is safe for the engine to do so.

· Registered
541 Posts
azntony85 said:
Everyone is using the term "engine braking" what is that??? Sorry i sound like a noob. lol What gear to use uphill and what gears to use downhill??? Is 'D' in automatic overdrive already? Or is the overdrive automatic too??? lol im confused.
Engine braking is basically using the engine and the gearing to brake the vehicle. Anytime you downshift, the RPM's will jump a lil' and your truck will slow a little, that's the engine braking your vehicle.

Using engine braking uphill and downhill depends on how steep the hill is. Some may use 3rd others 2nd or even 4th. Downhill, it's mainly used to save the brakes and let the engine do all the work braking. Uphill, downshifting is used to maintain a steady source of power and torque, forcing the engine to use a lower gear and not allowing it to upshift to a higher gear.

I'm not sure on the OD part for D. I'm usually driving my 6sp man. not the auto.

:)

· I had a six pack
241 Posts
Engine braking is commonly used in semi trucks going downhill.Especially with the load they carry.A lot of times, coming out of the mountains you'll smell burning brakes of flat landers(people afraid of driving downhill and hold the brake)...
But then you got people that are against engine braking, claiming that it puts more wear on the transmission and saying it's cheaper to replace brake pads blah blah blah...But I'd rather use teh transmission to help slow me down, then have no brakes because of brake fade, especially when you need them most down at the bottom. :ugh3:
My 89 Cadi w/ 4 speed auto has 160k miles on it, and I always downshift when coming out of the mountains.No problems with the transmission to this day.
I can come out of the mountains with out ever touching my brakes!! :naughty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.