Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i feel like i have done enough research on this board (thanks slavie!) so i'm starting my 5 speed swap on my 1998 5sfe camry.

I'm in the parts gathering stage so not too much excitement yet. :rolleyes:

what i have so far:
*4th gen 5 speed shifter/cable assembly/knob/boot $100
*4th gen clutch pedal assembly (installed!) $50
*4th gen brake pedal (installed!) $25
*Torque Solutions Delrin Shifter Cable Bushings $28
*m/t ecu $70
*Techna Fit Stainless Steel flex clutch line w/black pvc outer cover $30
*150k 4th gen S51 trans $250
*4th gen clutch neutral safety switch connector and harness (installed!) $3
*4th gen clutch cruise control cancel switch connector and harness (installed!) $3
*3rd gen clutch master/slave cylinders, hard line (both pieces) 2 trans brackets for line and firewall bracket that mounts to prop valve $30
*3rd gen "C" clips that secure the shift cables to trans $free!
*3rd gen firewall plates with gaskets $free!
*3rd gen trans to engine bolts $free!
*3rd gen trans mounting plate $free!
*3rd gen "C" bracket for console support (not compatible)
*4th gen clutch master cylinder (installed!) $30
*new flywheel and bolts(stock replacement) $60
*new clutch and bolts(stock replacement) $120
*Redline full synthetic 75W90 3 quarts $45
*beer $50
i'll continue to update this thread as more parts come in and of course you guys will get pics once the swap actually begins!

i'm piecing this swap together due to the lack of 5 speed 4th gen cars in my area.

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
third gen parts for gen4

Bump.

I'll be heading to the salvage yard this weekend and there is one 5 speed third gen Camry there. What misc parts can I grab from it to help with my swap? I know that's a vague statement but I haven't started the swap yet just collecting parts and I'm just looking for suggestions.

Will the gen3 clutch cylinder hard line work on a gen4? YES THEY WILL JUST BEND IT A LITTLE
Also will those two plates that bolt to the firewall where the two shift cables penetrate the firewall work on a gen4? YES THEY DID

I'll also be grabbing the trans to engine bolts because I've read on TN that the bolts are the same. YES THEY ARE

Again ideas are welcome thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Does your tranny have the clutch hard line that's mounted on the tranny? Also the brackets that hold that line.

Does it also have the transmission mounting plate? That's the plate that bolts to the tranny, and the tranny mount then bolts to that plate.

Rubber insulators for the shifter cables should also be same as Gen4. Don't forget: there are two of the said insulators, inside and outside one. Each has a metal plate holding it in place, and the metal plate is bolted w/ 2 10mm head screws.

Other than the shifter and the pedals, I would imagine all the other parts to be the same b/w gen3/4, but you can check part numbers to be 100% sure.

As for the techna-fit line, don't forget to test fit it to the brackets and file the brackets out to fit before things are on the car.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah, post #666. :)

EDIT2: Also, don't forget the U-shaped retaining clips that hold the shifter cables to the tranny.

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your tranny have the clutch hard line that's mounted on the tranny? Also the brackets that hold that line.

Does it also have the transmission mounting plate? That's the plate that bolts to the tranny, and the tranny mount then bolts to that plate.

Rubber insulators for the shifter cables should also be same as Gen4. Don't forget: there are two of the said insulators, inside and outside one. Each has a metal plate holding it in place, and the metal plate is bolted w/ 2 10mm head screws.

Other than the shifter and the pedals, I would imagine all the other parts to be the same b/w gen3/4, but you can check part numbers to be 100% sure.

As for the techna-fit line, don't forget to test fit it to the brackets and file the brackets out to fit before things are on the car.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah, post #666. :)

EDIT2: Also, don't forget the U-shaped retaining clips that hold the shifter cables to the tranny.
unfortunately my tranny is en-route from florida to missouri so i don't know. so i'll grab those parts just in case. i'd rather have extra parts than not enough!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
If you can, grab the ECU and engine wiring harness. It makes the swap easier.

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
rewiring for clutch safety switch and cruise cancel

i went to a local yard today because the had a 5 speed gen 4 camry!

Fu#$ no they didn't! they were wrong. all the camrys there were autos. not wanting to waste my $1 entry fee i found a 99 camry A/T. like slavie's car, it too had the clutch switch connectors tied up nice and neat not being using. i stripped out the two connectors and wiring out of the main harness. i'm going to repin my connectors with the connectors and wiring that i got from the yard today.

my thinking is that the one side of the harness has all the wiring and the other side of the harness on 1998 and 1997 cars didn't have the clutch switch connections. where as cars like slavies had the wiring on both sides.

i'll update when i know more. :thumbsup:

the wiring harness i grabbed out of the 1999 camry worked out great. to sum it up- the connectors in my car were missing the exact wiring harness i grabbed out of the 1999 camry. i repinned the connectors in my car and now both the clutch neutral safety switch works and the cruise control cancel circuit work!

there are only 3 connectors to be concerned with if you have a 1997-1998 camry.

j7a terminal this is one side of the neutral safety switch. this connector is located on the drivers side. the connector in my hand is the one stripped out of the 1999 salvage yard car. repin that black with orange stripe wire to that other connector. see that missing hole?

the other side of the car(passenger side behind glove box) will be the other connectors we will focus on.
the j29 connector is next note pointing screwdriver. when you unplug it, it will appear that the j29 connector doesn't go anywhere. in reality, the female side of the socket "re routes" the circuits back through itself. the j29 connector gets two wires added to it. one wire (black with white stripe) from the clutch neutral safety switch and the other wire (black with red stripe) from the clutch cruise control cancel switch.

this image below shows where i removed the wires from the 1999 j29 connector and re pinned them to my cars j29 connector.

the final connection is for the cruise control cancel circuit here.

below is the j27a is where the final wire goes. shown is the red with blue wire i re pinned into my cars j27a connector.

i have since tested both circuits and they work great! this wiring ahead of time will save me trouble when i do the actual 5 speed swap! :rockon:

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ignition key lock?

mounted the clutch pedal assembly tonight. plugged in my new wiring harnesses.

i have a question- the ignition key lock when the car is in drive- is that something i'll need to disable when i get the 5 speed trans in there?? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
No. The ignition key lock is a small box in the auto shifter assembly. Once you remove it, the lock will no longer be operational (will just have a plug hanging around there). This is connected to that auto manual override button on your shifter base.

Good question though! I didn't even think about this during my swap - it just worked out.

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm a member of the 5 speed swap club!

finished up the swap today and took a short test drive. no leaks no errors. engine fired up first try, reverse lights work, clutch neutral start works, cruise control cancel works. the car is fun to drive now! well as fun as a stock 5sfe camry can be....

in the next couple of days i'll try to get some pictures and details of the swap posted here for you guys. :rockon:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you have to change your axles? I am having a problem testing the gears while still on blocks. Left wheel turns, right doesn't, not even by hand. It seems to be stuck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts