Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutch plates are starting to stick (no neutral or reverse on occasion) and that means its time to either: rebuild tranny ($2,000) or buy a new transmission, or sell the car. This morning I was leaning twards selling the car, because $2,000 is more then twice what was paid for this car.. I can get a 5 speed tranny for a really good deal, what else would I need if I wanted to swap my transmission? (A shop would be doing the swap, unless my dad wants to help me :p)

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Well the pedals, the gearbox, the linkages, the throttle cable are a few things that come to mind as universal things you must replace. Some cars have other weird little things that change from trans to manual but I don't know for sure. The ECU shouldn't care that you swapped over to manual so you should be fine with the existing one.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
You'll need the:

* ECU
* Shifter
* Brake pedal and clutch pedal
* Clutch disc
* Pressure plate
* Clutch master cylinder
* Slave cylinder
* Clutch lines
* Flywheel
* Throwout bearing

+ a lot of patience and a few dozen boxes of beer ;). There's a few threads on this already, so you'll find more info by doing a search :thumbsup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll need the:

* ECU
* Shifter
* Brake pedal and clutch pedal
* Clutch disc
* Pressure plate
* Clutch master cylinder
* Slave cylinder
* Clutch lines
* Flywheel
* Throwout bearing

+ a lot of patience and a few dozen boxes of beer ;). There's a few threads on this already, so you'll find more info by doing a search :thumbsup:
I'm not of drinking age but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am really considering the swap, and I tried searching around, but I cant find a write-up on it anywhere, just lists of like "here is what you need". If anyone knows where I can find something on this, would be great because that would give me much more confidence in doing it ourselves. (we know how to swap a transmission, never done it on a FWD car though)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am really considering the swap, and I tried searching around, but I cant find a write-up on it anywhere, just lists of like "here is what you need". If anyone knows where I can find something on this, would be great because that would give me much more confidence in doing it ourselves. (we know how to swap a transmission, never done it on a FWD car though)

you basically pull the front end apart...

pull the halfshafts, unbolt the auto, add the clutch gear, replace with awesomeness. :smokin:

·
Registered
239 Posts
it may or may not hold true for this car...

but for many older nissans and other cars, auto ecus provide better timing and fuel curves for improved power, to help compensate for the slushy automatic transmissions.

just something to think about.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
What are the options for us as far as 5-speed swap anyway?

It appears that a 1.6L transmission has a much stronger 1st gear ratio than 1.8L transmissions, would it be possible to use that 1.6L transmission for the 1st gear ratio (yes, I do want to go fast off the line) and beef it up to handle built-up-7AFE power?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts