Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
5 Time Toyota Owner
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest Toyota offers where I live include an additional $1000 off a 5 speed Corolla CE. This is on top of the fact the the 5 speeds are usually $1000 less. So, I am thinking of maybe getting the 5 speed now & I am looking for input from folks who have a 5 speed CE for a while. Any problems with them?

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
No problems at all here! Im sure all of us with stick shift are having more fun in our corollas than the ones with autotragics :lol: But the electronic drive by wire is a little weird at first. other than that all good here!

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
some of us like myself have regretted getting the Autotragic:lol: the 5 speed is just sooooooooooo much BETTER! IMO

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
some of us like myself have regretted getting the Autotragic:lol: the 5 speed is just sooooooooooo much BETTER! IMO
+1. Indeed, when I was first purchasing my S, I was sooooo close to getting a automatic because I couldn't get the hang of the manual. But now that I got the hang of manual back then, I'm am so glad that I chose the manual! It's really fun to drive and I never get tired of driving the manual at all. I had no hesitation in choosing a manual when I got my Xrs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
+1. Indeed, when I was first purchasing my S, I was sooooo close to getting a automatic because I couldn't get the hang of the manual. But now that I got the hang of manual back then, I'm am so glad that I chose the manual! It's really fun to drive and I never get tired of driving the manual at all. I had no hesitation in choosing a manual when I got my Xrs :thumbsup:
yeah with the money I would have saved getting a manual...I could have gotten a sunroof!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeah with the money I would have saved getting a manual...I could have gotten a sunroof!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
+1
But at the end of the day,
I'm content with my Auto.
I can sort of chill, eat, text. etc.

By all means though for -$2000 i would get the stick.

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
+1
But at the end of the day,
I'm content with my Auto.
I can sort of chill, eat, text. etc.

By all means though for -$2000 i would get the stick.
Man i do all those while driving stick to. Its just a natural habit for my hands and feet to drive it so eating or sending a quick text isn't a problem

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Man i do all those while driving stick to. Its just a natural habit for my hands and feet to drive it so eating or sending a quick text isn't a problem
Haha indeed +1. I've gotten use to it so much, its not a hassle while mutlitasking while driving the stick

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Depends. 5-speed manual is definitely better and you'll be happier driving it. But if you plan on selling it anytime in the next 2-4 years, consider the automatic. Manual transmissions are generally tougher to resell because so many people have no clue (nor wish to) drive them.

Sad really. All cars should be manual...and there'd be better more alert drivers on the road.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
I would never buy a smaller car with an automatic. :facepalm: The 5-speed is so much more fun to drive & with the Pivot 3-drive throttle controller installed it's so responsive now. :D There is just something exciting about rolling through the gears....manually.

On the resale side of things I've never had an issue with selling a 5-speed because there are people that want one & all they can find are automatics. :headbang:

You drive a manual.....you steer an automatic.

·
The random one
2010 Corolla CE
523 Posts
The latest Toyota offers where I live include an additional $1000 off a 5 speed Corolla CE. This is on top of the fact the the 5 speeds are usually $1000 less. So, I am thinking of maybe getting the 5 speed now & I am looking for input from folks who have a 5 speed CE for a while. Any problems with them?
I have the ''Package C'' or Enhanced Convenience Package on a CE and I love it. I would have regretted it buying without AC and VSC. Makes me like winter. It saved my ass last year when I traveled 400km in a major snowstorm. I have a 5-speed as well, works great for an economy car.

Nice to see we're close, your in "Pee in ur Eye" and im a newbie

·
2010 Corolla S
2010 Corolla S
365 Posts
I think you'll find that most of us who drive stick are partial to stick. Don't ya hate driving someones automatic and accidentally stepping on the brake thinking its the clutch pedal tho? :)

For the lower cost, stick all the way. It costs less to repair as well, although it will probably need repair earlier. It isn't going to feel like a sports car, but if you live in a hilly area you would regret a small engine with an automatic. Go try one!

·
It needsa muffler bearing
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
I did not have a choice to order the 5mt. I sligtly considered the new tc with mt. Uits really sweet

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
stick for the win!!! I love my manual s and the thing about manuals is they have lss moving parts also and there is more to go wrong with an automatic. Manuals tend to have a much longer life although you may have to replace clutch and such over time. My friend has an auto s and i have a manual and ive taken them both side by side when new and prefer my car x100. you have full control over a manual car. MANUAL IS THE BEST

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 automatic

if you want to sit back and chill when your driving get automatic.
if you want to be constantly involved go 5 speed.

most people go automatic, you'll get more $ and it's easier to sell the car.

I have an automatic since most of my driving is done in the city. Rather not have to worry about shifting every few seconds in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S!
508 Posts
MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAAAAAL!

I was hanging out with the Si rice boys today and actually felt bad thanks to my automatic. :argh:

--EDIT--
On the other hand, autos are really nice if you break your fingers a lot... means you can still drive when you do. :lol:

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Corolla
205 Posts
Here is the thing... (IMO ofcourse)... If you are planning on keeping the car, spending $ on upgrades, and like to have more control over your vehicle's engine, you should choose a manual transmission.

If however you plan on keeping the car for a few years, and might put some $ into small upgrades, and don't mind trying to control the engine with your accelerator... then get an automatic transmission.

I personally have an automatic transmission, and if you were to take a ride with me, you would understand what I mean by controlling the engine with the accelerator. I do have aftermarket performance parts, and plan on eventually driving to Arizona to have a custom Turbo installed on my car. In retrospect, I am disappointed in my inability to be patient and wait for the dealership to order a Corolla S or Xrs with manual transmission. I got a great deal on my car, (with my trade), and I don't regret my purchase. (other than the transmission).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts