Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back about my engine light coming on and off for the past couple of months and finally got a chance to get it checked out. The dealer is telling me that one of my catalytic converters (the smaller one) failed! Everything is covered under the 80,000 mile exhaust warranty but it just seemed kind of odd to me. First off, I didn't even know we had two catalytic converters! Second, is this rare for a Tacoma with this mileage??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? Wow....learn something new everyday! Guess I should alert my dealer of that!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tucson...will do. I'll be bringing it back to be fixed on Tuesday.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
The two things most commonly killing converters are lead contamination (which shouldn't be a problem now) and shock. The substrate is ceramic and while built in a structure that is somewhat resistant to shock, it is still susceptible. On highway, they may last the life of the vehicle -or not. Offroad, a lick or two in exactly the right place may dislodge a chunk and possibly lead to blockage, rattling (pretty common), or allow bypass.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
msibille said:
The two things most commonly killing converters are lead contamination (which shouldn't be a problem now) and shock. The substrate is ceramic and while built in a structure that is somewhat resistant to shock, it is still susceptible. On highway, they may last the life of the vehicle -or not. Offroad, a lick or two in exactly the right place may dislodge a chunk and possibly lead to blockage, rattling (pretty common), or allow bypass.
Could be a possibility! We live on a pretty bumpy dirt road and travel others quite frequently.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
1slktoy said:
To install a new cat would the complete exhuast manifold have to be changed?
No, not at all.

In fact, most decent aftermarket shops install them by welding. If a 2bolt flange is not immediately ahead and aft of the converter (I'm not under the truck right now obviously, but they usually don't have that many), the old converter is cut from the piping and a new one is slid on and welded. When mine had to be replaced on my 94 Suzuki Sidekick, the dealer sent me to an after market muffler shop. Relatively quick and the joint was surprisingly good. (I'm pretty anal, so I insisted on looking at it before it was lowered.)

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
1slktoy said:
To install a new cat would the complete exhuast manifold have to be changed?
Yes, if done by the dealership, they will replace the entire manifold.

Had to have the front 2 converters replaced on my '05 with around 24,000 miles on the truck.

Dealer said they were having the same issue with the 4.0l 4-Runners.

Marc M

·
Registered
232 Posts
The converters also contains rare metals such as platinum, rhodium and palladium. Thieves steal the converters and flip 'em at the local recycling yard for $25-$100. Toyota Tacomas and Tundras are two of their favorite targets because they sit high off the ground and access is easy. 4 bolts and 5 minutes later they are gone. Here is a link to one of many articles on the growing trend. It never ceases to amaze me what people will steal for a quick buck.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060410/ai_n16143162

·
Registered
226 Posts
MINI2NUT said:
The converters also contains rare metals such as platinum, rhodium and palladium. Thieves steal the converters and flip 'em at the local recycling yard for $25-$100. Toyota Tacomas and Tundras are two of their favorite targets because they sit high off the ground and access is easy. 4 bolts and 5 minutes later they are gone. Here is a link to one of many articles on the growing trend. It never ceases to amaze me what people will steal for a quick buck.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060410/ai_n16143162
DAYUMN!!:eek: This article is taking place around my neck of the woods. I guess I'm going to have to run to the muffler shop and get those bolts tac welded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
it's probably because these trucks run ridiculously rich at stock. I think the AFR was something like 9:0:1 or something close to it. Thank god i got the psc now im in the 12 range

·
I had a six pack
231 Posts
Is a symptom of a failed cat is when your car/truck sounds like a jet?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Xacto said:
it's probably because these trucks run ridiculously rich at stock. I think the AFR was something like 9:0:1 or something close to it. Thank god i got the psc now im in the 12 range
With this kind of change in AFR you should see some kind of increase in MPG as well as a longer life for your cat converter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts