Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2001 corolla for low dollars because of a fender bender and 285,000 miles on its original motor. It is a 5 spd with an epa of 41 city. After taking care of deferred maintenance, we have taken a few trips and my problem is that I am not using enough gas! In town mpg has been 41 mpg but trip mpg for the last 3 tanks has been 44,48 and now 50.3!! I drive with a soft foot and do not exceed 65 mph. Do these non automatic Corollas really get almost 50 mpg?? My odometer is spot on and there is no doubt this little silver car is getting what I think is amazing mileage. Our "97 Camry also gets 36-38 on trips with a slushbucket tranny. Why buy a Prius when you can get the same mpg with a much cheaper and simpler Corolla!

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I myself feel the same way :D If you either have no desire to own a Prius or don't have the money, these older cars such as Corollas, Tercels, etc., always get amazing mileage and run great. I had an older car with a 3 speed automatic that routinely got 37 mpg+ and on one trip averaged 49 mpg. And that's with no OD :rolleyes:

·
Gearhead
2,123 Posts
That is stellar fuel economy - just goes to show that if you are conscientious of how you are driving, mega mileage is possible. Of course, this also assumes that the car is in good working order as well. Though many people have been able to getting stellar mileage, many others have consistently been getting low 20s in city and barely braking 30MPG on the highway - even when new off the lot. Like they say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

My own 2002 sees a consistent 34-36MPG on the highway, which is great considering that I commute in the DC Metro area. On longer cross-state road trips, hitting over 40MPG consistently, with a high of 47MPG. Has about 180K on the car now and still going strong.

As a side note, a 2001 Corolla that has an EPA rating of 41MPG city is pretty unlikely, unless they are using a different calculation for cars sold in the West.

My original window sticker on my 2002 shows 26 city / 36 highway for a 4-speed. For the 5-speeds they were 31 city and 38 highway.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,838 Posts
Mine wouldn't get 50mpg falling off a cliff in Neutral.

Good for you.
U need air brake. :lol:

Mine too.. cruising at 65mph and getting only 27mpg. My lead foot is so itching to floor it. Did it last night too passing a truck with heavy load and weaving. Love the pull of my car. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts