Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its been a little over 500miles (670miles to be exact) and we think we solved the two bugs we had. first bug was this weird rattling sound that i kept hearing at around 1400rpm - 2000rpm.. sounded like something was loose and i would only hear it when the engine was all warmed up and i was driving for a good while. at first we thought it was the cams or the exhaust being loose but when we really thought about it, it sounded like pinging so we upped the fuel and the pinging pretty much went away or got really soft. it made sense since we switched from our old Jet Performance tuned ECU which was richend and advanced for more power on NA applications and yea.. we knew it wasnt good for the new setup.. and also from the headwork that we had done (port and polished gasket matched) for it to need more fuel.

second bug was oil leaking out the Cometic headgasket and onto the block.. at first we thought that its kinda hard for the headgasket to leak so we looked at all other possiblities like the valve cover and we know the distrubitor is leaking but no way it couldve traveled around the whole block. while looking for other possibilities we did find that the cam gear seal was leaking a little bit so that was changed but the leaking continued and actually spreaded more around the block. we finally decided that it had to be the Cometic headgasket so i bought a new headgasket but this time one from Fel-Pro and i also bought the Hylomar gasket sealant\dressing spray. this past sunday we took off the head to replace the Cometic headgasket to our new Fel-Pro and sure enough the Cometic was leaking.

right off of the block the Cometic headgasket was saturated with oil and when we took the gasket off the block we seen oil and coolant mixing making sludge ehehe. we compared the two headgaskets and noticed that the Cometic was only beveled around each cylinder where the Fel-Pro gasket was beveled all the way up to the edge of the block and around each fluid feed line it was beveled inwards for better sealing. another advantage that the Fel-Pro had was a thin layer of rubber coating and of course us using the Hylomar sealant on it. anyways ever since the switch i have yet to see any oil leaking out of the headgasket and onto the block, usually about 30minutes of driving i would see oil coming out and a little puddle on the grooves on the block if left overnight. its been 2days since the switch and i still havent seen any sign of leaking from the headgasket so im pretty sure that problem is fixxed.

as far as the engine break in we changed all fluids and i took it out for a drive but this time taking it up a little higher than the first 500miles. the first 500miles i was keeping it under 30%throttle,under 3000rpm and out of boost.. this time i took it up to 60% throttle, up to 5000rpm and at 2psi.. and the car felt badass !! it picked up so nice and so fast !. the response was much quicker and it revved up real easy and fast due to the balancing and removal of the balancer. the tone of the whole car changed.. its hard to explain but its more raspy sounded and it backfires alot more, you can tell just by the sound of the engine and exhaust that its not a normal 5sfe anymore.. not including the loud whine of the supercharger. anyways i know this is getting a little long so ill stop for now and update everyone again at a 1000miles where we switch to full synthetic and get dyno tuned again, also as soon as i can get someone to make me a video ill be posting that up as well, sorry for the delay on that but im trying !

-shook

·
Registered
443 Posts
thats awsome.... i think Boosted 5sFE's are cooler then just doing a 3s Sawp.

i cant wait tell i get my turbo setup runing. where going to have to compare data some time..

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
props to your s/c 5sfe :clap:
and thanks for updating us...
good luck with ur car and hopefully all your bugs will be no more of a problem in the future.. :thumbup:

·
Whining Camry...
Toyota Camry LE
46 Posts
Take your time, don't rush on our account and make a mistake then ruin the engine. I think we want you to have a running car with tons of boost in the future and not a car sitting on the side waiting for a rebuilt. oh well. On the other hand congratz, on fixing those bugs and headaches, and keep up the good work!, We support your effort and I hope I get my Supercharger up and running too plus tons of pictures and video of the installation and swearing haha...

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i know not to rush, i actually should take an easy on it untill i get some tuning done and i know it needs tuning for sure. im not gonna to boost again untill i hit the dyno and after 1000miles from now on ! i duno what i would do if i ruined it :( dont even wanna think about it so yea ! ima wait :) and thanks for all the kind replies, appreciate the support.

-shook

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha well yea i guess i could do that heh.. but theres still a couple of little bugs we need to get fixxed, one is i think my alternator is going bad and the car idles really low sometimes and other times it idles high but my brother knows what that is, he said he bypassed some coolant line that ran to the throttle body and we should have that fixxed by this weekend. soon though ! trust me i cant wait either.. theres alot of things i still want to get for my car to make sure that it runs at its best and SAFE !

-shook

·
Registered
320 Posts
@shook

i am thinking about purchasing the supercharger for my camry after i get some forged goodies and mangement. how much psi can you run on it as of now? also, do you ALWAYS drive it under that much, cause i dont know how you can throw a supercharger in it and never bring up those rpms ^_^

thanks for reading,

-Ryan

·
Registered
320 Posts
ok if its built up and the install is in with the bugs fixed, why cant u bring it up ? im not trying to be a smartass i sinserely want to know because i am looking into purchasing this kit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think he just wants to take it easy and brake the new rebuild in a bit, plus if he has some tunning to do thats a very smart thing:thumbup: I know even when I got my Ripp supercharger on, I let the motor get used to it for about 500mile then gently eased into the fun!!:lol: :lol:

-Shook glad to hear all the updates , mine is running beautifully and I am prospecting on getting some upgrades to have more fun.

Thanks
-Blake

·
Registered
320 Posts
alright so if i put say forged pistons and rods in it then put the kit on. would it be safe to dyno tune it? since that involves the rpm's climbing on up. also, any ideas on what management that is recommended ?

-thank you,

ryan

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
agreed, as difficult as it may be to take it easy on an engine it's imperative that you do so until it's broken in, as well as change the oil extremely often. I too am going with the RIPPMods s/c here in the hopefully near future and i'm gonna do a total rebuild as well...

·
Registered
320 Posts
that must eat you alive not to just crank that sob on an empty road though =x

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
at the moment im still using the stage1 setup to break in the motor which is the 5psi kit. the motor as it is now should be able to handle atleast 15psi but the tranny would give out before the motor does which is why i will probably increase the boost to only 9 - 11psi. its not really if the tranny goes out but when, and when it does and i find me a 5spd donor i should be able to take it up to 15+ psi.

like everyone said, when you buy a brand new car you have to take an easy on it for atleast the first couple thousand miles to break in the motor. same goes for a built up or rebuilt motor with new internal parts, when you start upgrading internal parts of your engine you should treat it like a brand new engine. breaking in the motor lets all the parts seat in properly as well as seal properly and you gotta change oil often because during the break in period there will be alot of really fine metal shavings from the new parts settling in.

after all the work and money ive put in this engine im gonna baby it untill the break in and tuning is done. i dont wanna take any chances.. its always better safe than sorry ! :) but yea.. its kinda hard not to take it up.. you get a little itchy on open roads and freeways late at night :X still isnt worth it though lol.

-shook

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
itchy on freeways late at night.. mmm....

if anyone mentions a mad man going up 287north at 2am at an insane speed.. i have no idea what your talking about :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Great stuff ! Good to see the setup seems reliable ! I think it's the most important for us : knowing that a 5sfe can handle this on the long run. Keep us updated !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts