21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
'03 Tundra 130,000 miles in 3 years - Timing belt at 100k
'04 Rav4 140,000 miles in 11 years - Serpentine belt at 100k
'08 Tacoma 160,000 miles 8 years - Water pump at 90k
'16 Corolla 120,000 miles 5 years

None had anything else done other than oil changes and coolant replacement.
None had any issues with the engines and were still running strong when traded/replaced.
Just curious, but you never changed the spark plugs? Even iridium plugs should be changed at 120k miles.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
Just curious, but you never changed the spark plugs? Even iridium plugs should be changed at 120k miles.
I was mainly referring to major work/repairs and "additives" that dealers like to push.
Yes, recommended maintenance was followed including plugs (do them so rarely that I overlooked them). I had the new plugs for the Corolla in the trunk when the guy ran the red and totaled it.
I had just changed the oil and filters the weekend before the accident, but the plugs had not arrived yet. 5 quarts of brand new Mobil-1 on the ground. The guy at the impound yard joked that he actually has people ask if they can drain the oil and gas. Fortunately, I was planning to refuel that afternoon, so I only lost 1/4 tank.

My main point being: Oil in the crankcase. Coolant in the radiator. Gasoline in the fuel tank.
Using quality fluids and recommended service intervals, that's all that is needed for any vehicle.

Push the maintenance or use cheap products, and all bets are off. We don't really need "antifreeze" here in SoCal, and people tend to neglect their coolant system until it causes trouble.
When it does cause trouble, you take a look in the reservoir and 9 times out of 10, you'll find a muddy sludge in the bottom of the bottle.
Ya, that might need a flush and some chemical treatment to clean and neutralize the mess.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
I was mainly referring to major work/repairs and "additives" that dealers like to push.
Yes, recommended maintenance was followed including plugs (do them so rarely that I overlooked them). I had the new plugs for the Corolla in the trunk when the guy ran the red and totaled it.
I had just changed the oil and filters the weekend before the accident, but the plugs had not arrived yet. 5 quarts of brand new Mobil-1 on the ground. The guy at the impound yard joked that he actually has people ask if they can drain the oil and gas. Fortunately, I was planning to refuel that afternoon, so I only lost 1/4 tank.

My main point being: Oil in the crankcase. Coolant in the radiator. Gasoline in the fuel tank.
Using quality fluids and recommended service intervals, that's all that is needed for any vehicle.

Push the maintenance or use cheap products, and all bets are off. We don't really need "antifreeze" here in SoCal, and people tend to neglect their coolant system until it causes trouble.
When it does cause trouble, you take a look in the reservoir and 9 times out of 10, you'll find a muddy sludge in the bottom of the bottle.
Ya, that might need a flush and some chemical treatment to clean and neutralize the mess.
Well, antifreeze/coolant is still very important in warm climates and also contains rust inhibitors to keep things clean. I agree though if you stay on top of regular maintenance there is little that needs to be done in addition.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
Well, antifreeze/coolant is still very important in warm climates and also contains rust inhibitors to keep things clean. I agree though if you stay on top of regular maintenance there is little that needs to be done in addition.
Oh it absolutely is. Like I said... let it go and you'll end up with a layer of goo in the bottom of the radiator, just as you do in the reservoir.
I wasn't saying that it's not important to use the proper coolant... just saying that in SoCal, it is a very neglected system because we don't need freeze protection.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
Oh it absolutely is. Like I said... let it go and you'll end up with a layer of goo in the bottom of the radiator, just as you do in the reservoir.
I wasn't saying that it's not important to use the proper coolant... just saying that in SoCal, it is a very neglected system because we don't need freeze protection.
Oh, okay. I must have misread or misunderstood what you were saying.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
i should envy your rust-free & free-from-salt life but i honestly don't :cool:
it gives me a task to do, clean clean clean, and so far after 25 winters i have succeeded, except for a few minor spots there and here on the truck
that car, however, is a different story altogether

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I believe sometimes a car needs to "stretch".
i wish my truck would stretch better, i got roasted :( on the I-80 racket today by some dum Chevy compact car hauling it down the middle
.... so much HP in the taco that is not ever fully realised

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
i wish my truck would stretch better, i got roasted :( on the I-80 racket today by some dum Chevy compact car hauling it down the middle
.... so much HP in the taco that is not ever fully realised
I'd blame a tired drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I'd blame a tired drivetrain.
i blame a built-in speed limiter whatever, i was near the max! barely over 3k rpms
drivetrain in good condition afaik lol

21 - 35 of 35 Posts