Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having a problem lately where car has been really weak as far as power and getting about 20 mpg. But this morning the car took a shit. I mean bad. The car lost all power. Feels like I'm running on 3 cylinders. It idles real bad and to take off I have to rev to 5k and dump the clutch. then the car sputters and starts to accel. but true story, i started beside a ford festiva at a light and he pulled 2 cars on me not trying. he had no idea i was trying to keep up. And the gas consumption is nuts. 4 1/2 gallons got me 53 miles. and it smells of raw unburnt gas. can someone please help. please. i need to work at 5 in the morning and i need to have my car. new plugs, distributer cap, rotor button, air filter.

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
Did you check the timing? Pull the plugs and check to see if they're wet?

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
well, it goes with the timing. if you're smelling gas (and it's not leaking), chances are that you're not combusting it. you can tell by looking at your plugs. The last time I recall dealing with something like this (gas smell, running like crap, guy just changed cap and rotor, etc) come to find out for some reason he loosened the distributor bolts and didn't tighten it all the way, and it vibrated out of time a little.

I know this sounds obvious, but did you double-check the plug wires for tightness and location?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Could be a lot of things, check for a good spark at plug. A wet plug is gasoline on the end of the plug and may be caused by lack of ignition. Might also check the IAC valve. The earlier Camry used the same engine. Might download the service info for year of car, the manuals have a very good diagnostic section.

http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
What year Celica is it?

Camry had some different stuff than the early Celicas.

Have you made sure your wires are on securely?

What brand parts did you use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts