Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. I have just purchased an 83 Supra, and would like to turbocharge it. An engine swap is out of the question (sadly) due to time constraints and cost.

I am aware that a 7MGTE manifold will bolt to a 5MGE head (with a slight modification), however the motor in my Supra is a single cam. Do I need to buy a twincam head to fit the 7MGTE manifold, or will it fit the 5ME? The head on the car now has been reconditioned recently, with a slight port and polish, and I would prefer to keep it if it is possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Don't think the turbo manifold will work with the 5M-E. :(

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Yeah, only in Ausrialia though. The earlier MKII Supra and early 85-88 Cressidas had the 5M-E. Single cam, weaker thing, but it did the trick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
even a non turbo 7m-ge at 200 horsepower will give you more power than that boat anchor you have in you car. A motor swap is waayyyyyy less work and money too. You will probably need to run 12 pounds of boost just to run 200 horsepower.

But if you insist, i know the exhaust manifolds from 7m-gte and 5m-ge are the same. I have a 5m-e out at my dads next time i'm out there i will look for you if i can remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts