Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I googled and searched TN about this problem and got nothing. I have a 2001 Camry with the famous 5S-FE motor. The problem is when I make a hard right turn; the oil pressure light comes on. Like turning on to a side road at 30MPH or driving in circle at an empty parking lot (snow day). Anyways, on normal driving, it never come on. The motor oil is always at max full (I check it nearly every day). It runs on 5W-30 and doesn't burn or leak.

I know the oil pump is located on the right side (front of the motor) and I think when on a hard right turn, all the oil moves to the left (rear of the motor) Or is the oil pressure sending unit being trick by the turn? Has this happen to anyone else? My engine still sounds and runs the same.

BTW, I'm continuously logged out of TN when I move to another page. Is there a time limit I can stay on one page?

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Weird. I don't see how turning may trick the oil pressure sending unit.
What I would do - jack up whole front end so both of the wheels are in the air. MAKE SURE CAR IS SECURED and there is no way it can move! Start the engine, switch to "D" gear and push the gas pedal for 3000 RPM. Turn all the way right or left. What happens with the oil light?
What I am thinking - it might be failing oil pump. When you turn all the way right or left, the steering pump pumps more heavily and this may affect the total power of the engine. If oil pump is not good then it might pump less oil because of the higher over load of the engine.
Actually, the same effect (or even bigger) might be reproduced by turning A/C on. Even without jacking up the car, just revving the engine with A/C on on "P".

Another idea - clogged oil pump strainer (behind the oil pan). But not sure why turning makes a difference in this case.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
This happens to me too. It's just the oil sensor doesn't see the oil because it shifts around too far. It happens on my mom's thunderbird, too.

Only way to fix it is to slow down.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Like I said, it only happens if I'm going fast enough around a corner to push the forces against the car. If I slow down on the same corner, the light turns off.

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'm thinking, the light comes on for a few second and then turns off. I checked online and the 5S-FE oil pan doesn't have any baffling to keep the oil pick up to always be submerged in oil. I guess Toyota never think anyone gonna push a camry hard around any corners. I just have to slow down a bit on right turns now. But I can still hammer it on left turns.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yuko, when you do an oil & filter change, how many quarts do you put in to bring the level up to full on the dip stick?

Just wondering if the dip stick is too long, and your oil level is lower than it actually should be. Just wondering.

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I use about 3.5 to four quarts, I always spill some on the floor anyways. Change every 3-4K and no sludge (I remove the valve cover at 70K). Also, I only use Wix or Napa filters. As for the dipstick, it's still the original.

Also, everytime I click my username, it logs me out. It's gives me a message and tells me to login and when I do, it brings meback to the same login page. Is the website under maintenance or my computer is crap?

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
its in your owner's manual. something along the lines of the oil light may flash during hard cornering. but should go back off

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I use about 3.5 to four quarts, I always spill some on the floor anyways. Change every 3-4K and no sludge (I remove the valve cover at 70K). Also, I only use Wix or Napa filters. As for the dipstick, it's still the original.

Also, everytime I click my username, it logs me out. It's gives me a message and tells me to login and when I do, it brings meback to the same login page. Is the website under maintenance or my computer is crap?
Probably just your browser. Cookies enabled?

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
its in your owner's manual. something along the lines of the oil light may flash during hard cornering. but should go back off
You nailed it! I read my owner's manual and I found it.

Low Oil Pressure Warning Lamp: "If it flickers or stays on while you are driving, pull off the road to a safe place and stop the engine immediately.....The light may occasionally flicker when the engine is idling or it may come on briefly after a hard stop. There is no cause for concern if it then goes out when the engine is accelerated slightly....Do not drive the vehicle with the warning light on" (pg. 88 of 2001 Camry Onwer Manual)

I guess I can relax a bit now. But I do need to read the owner's manual more than the repair manual. Thanks again.

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably just your browser. Cookies enabled?
You might be right. TN is working fine on my desktop. I might have to refresh my laptop.

I found out how some of the Celica guys fixed there momentarily oil starvation problem.
Deep sump oil pan anyone? Holds 6 qts! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts